[Q] Manta mating season in Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pains

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been to Bali this year but I could not see Manta because we did not go Manta Point.

So I'm willing to visit Bali again to see Manta. Is there manta mating season in Bali? If there is I want to align my trip with the season. What I've heard is Feb. in Yap. But I can not find how's in Bali. It's easier for me to go Bali than Yap.

even though it's Bali, you can't mate with the manta's. :wink:

I wouldn't worry about trying to find the "mating" season for manta rays. There is little documented evidence on their mating behaviours so trying to time it is still a bit hit or miss :wink:

Better to ask when are the largest congregations around an area and when are the best sea conditions to head out to see them, imho.

Maybe contact a dive centre in Bali directly and ask, too.

I could tell you when they're here, but not about Bali, I'm afraid.

October is the best month for Manta in Bali. I have been diving there numerous times during every month of the year over the last 10 yrs (lived in Jakarta 5 years). November is also good, but the water tends to be a little cooler ( I personally like it warm).

I have seen, and have a pic to prove it 17 Manta at one time in mid October at Manta Point. It is a very large "claning station", so if the seas allow you to get there, there are always Manta, just a lot more in Oct-Nov.

I come with my wife. So I can not mate with the manta. -_-;;;

This year I was in Nusa Penida in late Sep.. But I could not dive at Manta point. How can we know the sea condition at Manta point before we get there? Does it depend on moon phase?

Basically, unless you are a psychic, you can only roughly predict the sea state at Manta Point from Bali, but the dive guides usually have a good idea from the previous day. Manta Point is always going to be very "surgy", but it is not a good idea to get all macho and go dive there when the seas are 5-7+, you may not be able to get back into the boat.

The mantas at Manta Point have moved. Based on my surveys from 2004, there are about 50 individuals there but it seems that over diving and harassments from divers plus boat traffic has made the site a rare chance to see them being cleaned now.

I have data of their mata chains there but unitl I can finalised it with the NGOs I am co-ordinating with, I can't release the data yet.

Agree with mikefolger best time for Mantas sunfish (mola molas) October - to be be sure to see them you will need to spend 2-3 days on Nusa Penida and then concentrate your diving on Manta Point (conditions allowing) - but then as always with animals no guarantees - as for mating well ur guess is a god as anybodies

You can try to be part of the huge number of divers that dive there in Sept-October to see the Mantas and Sunfish.
On average, I count 80 divers based on 8 dive boats with 10 divers each at the dive site for Mantas daily.

Sounds about right, we were there in mid Oct and counted about 7-8 dive boats all at once in Crystal Bay. Some of the locals said it can get worse...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom