Q for those who are newly certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi! So far you've gotten some great advice. I was pretty apprehensive about learning to dive too. My husband and his whole family were already certified and we tossed around the idea that someday I would do it too. Well, of course, I never had any concrete ideas of when that someday would be. My husband gave me the lessons as a Christmas present and I had about a week to prepare for the orientation, then the folowing week, was the first night in the pool, only to do the swim requirements. One of the instructors did bring a tank and reg for us to just try breathing with our faces in the water though. Honestly, it did kind of freak me out. My body didn't want to let me breathe and I think that particular reg felt a little tough to breathe from, like there was a little bit of resistance.
So I did exactly what you were thinking about, my husband got a tank from his dad and I practiced just breathing from it in the living room. Also, I won't lie, (though I am sure that most people, including instructors, would tell you not to) I did also stick my face in our bathtub and breathe through the reg that way a couple of times before the first official pool session. I made sure that my husband was around and knew what I was doing, and I felt safe doing it. BUT.. that would be completely up to you if you guys decide to do something like that. For me though, it was worth it. It helped immensely as far as just getting used to the breathing goes. Also just try to help her relax and prepare her by letting her know that if she gets anxious or does much physical work under water she will start to breathe harder, so naturally it will be a little harder to get all the air she wants.
I also agree that for her first "living-room" practice you should be elsewhere. Don't make it a big thing, just say you're going to take the trash down, or go in the kitchen and make a snack.
Hmm.. what else... I think between all of the respondents we've coverd most issues nervous first timers would have. Be sure to let us know how it goes and ask any questions when she does finally decide to take the OW course!

LG Diver:
The two primary "hangups" she has about the sport are:

1) hauling all the heavy gear around

and

2) work of breathing

Well, John you sound like a motivated and loving hubby so number one should be easy for her to over come--she has a big strong hubby to haul her gear. :rofl3: :rofl3: Just to make sure big strong hubby doesn't hurt himself in front of wife, you might consider a little cart to pull the gear behind you or get some kind of dolly.:D When hauling gear for two.

I agree with another poster. Help her haul the stuff to the pool and get lost. She is going to be nervous about the new experience and nervous about pleasing you and getting your approval. Take the pressure off and let her know you love her and adore her no matter what.:10: :10: Haul her stuff to the pool and then get lost for a while.:no

Let us know how it goes. Hope she likes it.

(Sorry- I can't seem to get the quotes to work here at work...)

"So I did exactly what you were thinking about, my husband got a tank from his dad and I practiced just breathing from it in the living room. Also, I won't lie, (though I am sure that most people, including instructors, would tell you not to) I did also stick my face in our bathtub and breathe through the reg that way a couple of times before the first official pool session."

I'm a PADI MSDT Instructor and I have often advised new(er) divers to wander around the house, hot tub or bath wearing a mask with a bit of water in it or practice breathing techniques with a snorkle in the bathtub. This isn't diving- it's just getting comfortable with breathing patterns and equipment- something that comes quite naturally to some people and requires real concentration from others. Please don't misunderstand me- there is a big difference between strapping a tank onto your back and heading off into the 5- foot deep hot tub and simply breathing from a reg at the surface. (I would NOT recommend the first, but can't condone the second). Furthermore, for those of you on this site that might jump at the notion of someone not instantly being ok with breathing through their mouth and would suggest that this person will become an unsafe diver- I don't follow that mantra. Diving can be done successfully and safely by people who aren't instant fish.

On the other hand, it can be very fustrating and potentially no good for all involved if a person is only diving because they want to be able to spend some time with their loved one(s), but actually don't enjoy it themselves. If that is the case, love the person for trying it out, and find something you both enjoy in addition to your time spent apart!

By the way, I only suggest this to people who are already in a class and are simply experiencing some difficulties- not to someone who is brand new to it and not exactly sure that they want to be doing it... no reason to overwhelm someone with too much info.

(Also- if there are kiddos around that want to touch, feel, breath and get a feeling for what scuba is when we are at the pool between sessions- with parent's permission, I've let them try on a mask and breath off a reg on the deck for the heck of it).

Hi LG Diver I think its cool you are trying to get her into our great sport are should I say LIFESTYLE? A few things I found out over the years. 1. don't push her if you do she'll run, period. Now lets be real If she doesn't want to try, do, are be around diving because she is scared and won't tell you for whatever reason let it be accidents can happen when a mate is pushed.

Now thats said. Get her in to a discover diving class but before I'd do this I might want to maybe to find a women Instructor/divemaster take her and your wife to lunch so your wife can ask her questions and >>>shut up<<<<<.

Then a trip to the dive shop may be in order with her new friend with her and have her point out the smaller type fins, mask, women made BC's such as a Oceanic ILSA made for a woman. Maybe a new steel 65cu ft they are tiny. She sees your equipment and it loks like work not fun. Remember we dive to have fun when we don't we don't dive. Your wife has to be shown its FUN! But trust me the worst thing you can do is over help with equipment and tell her this is this thats that ... believe me shut up and let the pros handle it.

Good ideas, all- but please be careful when thinking that the new women's gear fits all women. I sincerely dislike a lot of the new designs that is being marketed directly at women. While some of it may better fit the (assumed) curves of a girl- some of it is simply packaging and what some guy THOUGHT a woman would like.
For example- the new TUSA stuff- why does it all have to be PASTEL?
And at what point did removing D-clips off a bc suddenly make it better for a woman? (As though we don't carry goodie bags, lights or the like...)
Argh.
Now- do have her go to the LDS and fit everything until she finds what works for her, be it for women or not... and beware the well-meaning employee that fits her in something that looks really good, but doesn't quite fit. (It seems to be of epidemic proportions...) I really could go on forever about this.. (I won't, at least here, anyway...) :)
Plus- remind her that one thing will (probably) ring true: her air consumption, despite nervousness and limited experience, is going to rivial her guy's just because of being who she is- (and get her in a smaller tank pronto!)

I was just certified (barely) last year at the request of my sister...who was coaxed by her boss because she was trying to overcome a tragedy in her life. Long story short...both probably bad ideas, but I really, really love diving. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. I've always loved the water, have aquariums all over the house and Koi ponds in my back yard. I also love the ocean...when standing on the beach. Yep...scared of the ocean. But if my sister needed me to do this for her then, well, I was going to do it. I was trouble from the start. I told my class during class intros that I was afraid of the ocean and they all looked at me like I was crazy...which is reasonable. In the water, I didn't do very well. As soon as we went under, I grabbed the arm of the person standing next to me (coincidentally, the instructor's assistant...hmmmm). In the deep end, I sunk head first like a rock. He got me situated and held my feet on the bottom for the rest of the class. But my biggest problem was clearing my mask. I sucked some water in my nose and that was it...I was done...I wanted to quit and head for the top. I credit my instructor for saving my life someday in the future, because he didn't let me go to the top. He got me to calm down, think, and get through it while I was still on the bottom. Now, I've only been to the Florida Springs so far and I think that is very important, because it's giving me a chance to practice, practice, practice, before I take my first venture to the ocean. My dive buddy will testify...I always take the first few minutes to stay in the shallows and practice clearing my mask before I will go anywhere else. I would recommend that if this is something she wants to do, get that one-on-one instruction, go to easy dive sites to start with, and always allow her time to get comfortable with the safety skills before diving. I wish her the best...and welcome her to a whole new world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom