Q about EAN and pony bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually think the 40 suggestion is a way to get more used tanks into the market (nobody wants a SA).

I agree, you should buy based on your diving, however it is also prudent to try and understand where your future diving might take you and buy based on that as buying simply for todays diving will ensure you buy, sell, buy, sell as your diving matures (and I say that from experience).

Can you explain what you meant by the above quote as I am missing your point? I don't understand how buying a 40 will increase used cylinders on the market?

I do know from experience here (OZ) most divers with some experience will not generally buy a 19 as they are virtually not used here for anything other than generally recreational diving (usually by those who are buying their first sling cylinder) or perhaps 100% O2. Yes here most tech divers buy slings as a minimum size of 40 or 75 if diving deeper. Its fairly standard in the industry rather than "because everyone does". When I started my tech course the instructor told me not to bother with my 19 so I only use it when recreational diving and usually only to allow newer divers with no sling cylinder some experience with either using it or being able to get to use it as a secondary air source. I would say however if you are very sure that recreational diving (and usually limited to 100' or less) is the only diving you will be doing, then a 19 would do. I know which is easiest to resell here, a 40.

Can you explain what you meant by the above quote as I am missing your point? I don't understand how buying a 40 will increase used cylinders on the market?

Tongue-in-cheek statement relating to the "I'm going to be a Tech Diver" at day #1, and selling all their gear by year 5 (with 25 dives, 18 from their first trip to warm water)...... Nobody looking for deals wants a 6 or a 13.....

Humor my friend (maybe not the best, but it was what came to mind....) :coffee:

Tongue-in-cheek statement relating to the "I'm going to be a Tech Diver" at day #1, and selling all their gear by year 5 (with 25 dives, 18 from their first trip to warm water)...... Nobody looking for deals wants a 6 or a 13.....

Humor my friend (maybe not the best, but it was what came to mind....) :coffee:

Ok lol, me a :dork2:, no prob you had me stooged there. yes I agree though when I first started if you had of asked me if I was going to become a tech diver "HELL NO" Now I is one.

Had I known then what I know now ( I am psycho not Psychic), I would have bought 300 BAR DIN and 12 litre (100) steels with 5 litre (40) slings and quality secondary regs rather than the mish mash second hand ones I bought and sold trying to not spend too much. False economy.

I think that if every diver bought 40 cf ponies instead of 13's or 19's that there would be a lot more pony bottles left in the garage on dives of 100' or less.

The average dive isn't that deep and how many divers are going to sling a 40 cf bottle for a 50' dive?

If you're regularly diving past 100' though, then you should opt for something bigger.

Tongue-in-cheek statement relating to the "I'm going to be a Tech Diver" at day #1, and selling all their gear by year 5 (with 25 dives, 18 from their first trip to warm water)......

Sssssssssshhhhhh !!!!!!!

(my DSD divers will begin to wonder why I advise them to buy Shearwater Petrels prior to enrolling on an OW course :wink:

I agree, but I hate wasting money so try and now buy for the future as well as now, rather than thinking about just now.

As I said, if the diver is sure they will only ever be rec and <100' or so then it would be probably more useful to buy 19, but deeper or with future potential to go further with diving then 40 or more would be more effective and cheaper in the long run.

But people will buy what they buy regardless.

if the diver is sure they will only ever be rec and <100' or so then it would be probably more useful to buy 19,

It really depends on SAC and how long you need to organize yourself and complete the ascent. It's not a lot, IMHO, given typical/average diver SAC rates (especially when accelerated by stress) and the probable difficulties/delays they might encounter dealing with an OOA emergency.

Rule of Thirds seems like a nice concept to migrate into gas redundancy...

I agree, but I hate wasting money so try and now buy for the future as well as now, rather than thinking about just now.

As I said, if the diver is sure they will only ever be rec and <100' or so then it would be probably more useful to buy 19, but deeper or with future potential to go further with diving then 40 or more would be more effective and cheaper in the long run.

But people will buy what they buy regardless.

A pony bottle is one bit of gear where the prices don't particularly scare me though. It's not like a drysuit or a set of doubles. The regulator stays the same, so it's really just the price of the tank itself if you decide you need more.

I'm actually in that boat right now. I originally bought a 19' pony, have used it for years and now am in the market for an AL40. No intention of selling the 19 though.

I think that if every diver bought 40 cf ponies instead of 13's or 19's that there would be a lot more pony bottles left in the garage on dives of 100' or less.

The average dive isn't that deep and how many divers are going to sling a 40 cf bottle for a 50' dive?
Let's face it, if you have a redundant source and it is a PITA to deal with, you won't use it. On a 50' dive it takes special circumstances for me to carry my 19 because I keep my dives well inside NDL and I free dive close to that depth so I'm quite comfortable there.

If you're regularly diving past 100' though, then you should opt for something bigger.
I will use the 19 past 100' or I just rig one of the old steel 72's or AL80's I have lying about 'cause I'm too cheap to buy a 50.

Bob
-------------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

I make all my AOW students learn to use a pony /stage and perform switches for the sake of knowing how.....I require them to bring at least a 19 on any offshore dives in NC. A captain once told me that he could always tell who the divers were in my group because all my students had yellow 19's attached to them...I got a kick out of that.

Many instructors in my area from a variety of agencies strongly advocate and teach redundant gas supplies, so I don't find it odd that this is being taught in a padi deep specialty......it's the instructor not the agency.

Required to learn / use a pony or required to buy and learn to use a pony?

Back
Top Bottom