Q about drysuit shoulder size and excess material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radinator

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, this is not about getting measured or sizing in that sense.

I have a chance at a good deal for a DUI CLX450 drysuit since someone bought it, took it on one dive, and then returned it (being a pain in the ***** in the process) and my dive shop wants to unload it but can't sell it as new. It's a stock size.

Generally it fits me rather well, and is not too loose or tight. Since it is a shell suit, it will not stretch so I need the material to be there for the flexibility. (I had been leaning to the CF200 signature series.)

The one thing I have questions about is if there is too much shoulder material. If I put my shoulders back while wearing it, and stand up straight, I get a little "wing" of material behind each shoulder where the folded material makes a little peak. The benefit of this material is that it seems to be enough to reach valves and such, and to also fold my arm over like this kid (not me BTW).

Anyway, is that too much excess material in the shoulders, or is that appropriate? I've looked at a lot of pictures of people in their suits, but never get an appropriate view to see the back of the shoulder while they stand up straight to judge the amount of material.

Thanks.

A suit that is 3 times too large will allow me the flexibility...I guess I'm looking for some way of telling if a suit is too large in the shoulders. Something like "you can pull the fabric 2 feet away from your backbone". Anyone got any suggestions?

That sounds like a good fit.

I can do the kid's stretch in my 905 and that suit fits me great. If I were to do the kid's arm motions with both arms I run out of room.

From the sound of it I think the suit is sized properly for you.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom