Pygmys Of Mataking!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm so proud - I found some Hippocampus bargibanti some years ago in Bali - by myself!! The dive guide and I were looking at the sea fan on either side - and I found them... :wink: He said that's funny because normally they're sitting on the other side (I think the normal direction was towards the current)...

Next month I get another chance to get better pictures of the pygmies in Raja Empat - they say they have every species there... :wink:

When I was in Komodo they told us that every photographer is only allowed to take 3 pictures of the same pygmy because they are so delicate. It is believed they could die from repetitive flash or at least they would move away. And the dive guides really had an eye on the photographers!

Sometimes the photographers have to leave out one shot if the pygmies are not cooperative - that's life. I hate it when I see people trying to harrass the pygmies to move them to a better location... :(

Ed, nice! They are frustrating to shoot aren't they!! I came across three opportunities to shoot pygmies during my 2 week trip and none of the photos are worth posting. They just don't like me... But they sure are tiny!!! In between shots, it's almost hard to find them again they're that small and blend in so well with the sea fans!

Although this method borders on harassment, seems the best way to shoot them is to have the DM or another diver shine their light from the opposite side (don't blast them). And then they'll turn to the camera...

I have one amusing shot of someone pointing to the pygmy with their pencil. The pencil tip looks massive next to the pygmy!!!

Thanks Pak! Hey! Those are my old shots, sure brought back some memories. They are quite difficult to shot, but they are such a cutie. :wink:

Ed.

As pakman said, they're a pain to shoot, but how would he know given that I never gave him a chance on our dives :)

Here's one from Puerto Galera: -

_MG_2793a.jpg

About 50 shots, not one with the little swine facing me. Ho hum.

Wolverine:
Yeah.. you were hogging the fan :)

Hahaha, look who's talking!!! I pull away to adjust my camera settings and next thing I know, Wolverine darts in to start taking pics of the same pygmy... :rofl2:...

Will try to capture some, since I'm in Bali now. Will post some shots when I'm back on the 20th. :wink:

Ed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom