Pygmys Of Mataking!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice :) He's a tubby one for sure!

Photographers need to be aware that there is some concern about repetitive flash on these sensitive little guys.

We look every time we see a sea fan, but so far no luck here - I live in hope, though!!

alcina:
Very nice :) He's a tubby one for sure!

Photographers need to be aware that there is some concern about repetitive flash on these sensitive little guys.

We look every time we see a sea fan, but so far no luck here - I live in hope, though!!

Alcina,
What marine animals should photographer be aware of flash use with. It seams when we see something we take pictures. If there is a concern it seams DM's should inform their divers! Anyway, awesome picture and great tip alcina!!

Chad_Ordelheide:
Alcina,
What marine animals should photographer be aware of flash use with. It seams when we see something we take pictures. If there is a concern it seams DM's should inform their divers! Anyway, awesome picture and great tip alcina!!

It's really going to depend on who you talk to!

Seahorses top the list. They seem to be delicate and easily disturbed so prudence is best to ensure they are around for your next visit!

Octopus have also been noted to have delicate eyes and in some areas react badly to repetitive flash. I have not seen that here, however. Same with turtles in some areas - again, ours don't seem to mind, but I have it on local authority from other places that they do mind.

Best to talk to the locals wherever you go and try to get the feel for their own aquatic life. Responsible guides will let you know once they see your camera and talk to you about your goals.

Yup! They are really sensitive to repetitive flashes. What I did was, positioning my strobe away from the pygmys and that's why I'm able to get them to keep their heads up. :wink:

The other factor that divers should look at is, not to haress such fragile marine lives. A lot of divers/photographers tend to try to move them around so that they can shoot the perfect pictures. I can say that I was lucky because one happened to be on the tip of the sea fan and facing up. I took that short window of oppurtunity & took my shot! :wink:

Below are a couple of those shots that the Pygmys were not facing the camera!

img25498am.jpg

img26463wt.jpg

Ed.

Very beautiful creatures and pictures too.

They sure are beautiful! Some divers even willing to spent the whole bottom time just to photgraphed them. What makes them difficult to photograph are their size, only about half an inch in length!

One professional photographer was there, 3 days before I arrived. I was told he spent most of his time just to shoot the Pygmys.

Beautiful & Fantastic creatures! :)

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ed.

Hi Ed,
beautiful pictures! I also love the pygmys, both the H. bargibanti - the "fat" ones and the H. denise, the skinny ones. There's a third type being discovered quite recently, I think in Bunaken/Manado - haven't seen this so far.

By the way: which lens are you using for these close ups? Digital or film camera? I'm not able to get them so close with my 90 mm macro lens for my old analog camera... :(

Cheers,
Gaby

gabyne:
Hi Ed,
beautiful pictures! I also love the pygmys, both the H. bargibanti - the "fat" ones and the H. denise, the skinny ones. There's a third type being discovered quite recently, I think in Bunaken/Manado - haven't seen this so far.

By the way: which lens are you using for these close ups? Digital or film camera? I'm not able to get them so close with my 90 mm macro lens for my old analog camera... :(

Cheers,
Gaby

Hi Gaby!

Sorry for the late reply, as I was on the island.

Anyway, I'm using a digital camera (Canon Ixus500) with 10Bar Macro Lens. The len really gives me, the close ups I want. :)

The Pygmys sure are beautiful and amazing. I have seen both, but haven't got a chance to photograph the H.Denise yet, hopefully I'll get to soon. What camera are you using?

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom