Pvc pipe tank rack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am thinking of building a rack/holder to put my al80 air tank on. I drive a 2004 tahoe and I have two subwoofers in the back of it. It is kinda aggrivating to have to remove them everytime I load the scuba gear or any other items in the back. I was thinking of buying some pvc pipe and build a rack of some sort that would maybe go up and over the subwoofer box. I was gonna build it just high enough that the tank did not put any weight on the speaker box. My question is what size pipe would I need, that would be strong enough to support weight of the tank without having any flex in the pipe? I was thinking of maybe a 3 inch pipe. Would that be to big or do I need something bigger? The subwoofers are 10 inch so I would probable just build the legs of it 12 -13 inches. The subwoofer box is approx 2 feet long. Thanks

I built my rack using 1" pipe and can put 3 al80's on the top with no flex, as well as 3 on the bottom. The 3" pipe would be overkill and take up space that could be used for other gear.

I just finished building it using 1.5" pvc pipe. Turned out alright considering I am in now way a carpenter

can you post some pics???

Phil

What schedule PVC pipe did you use? Schedule 40 or class 200? Either would probably work but sch40 would withstand more abuse and probably last longer than class 200.

There is some pretty good paint on the market for plastics if you don't want the classic white and it helps with UV protection.

100_3096_edited.jpg

100_3097_edited.jpg

It slides really well over my two 10" subwoofers. Just loaded up the tahoe for my trip down to Vortex on the 19th and it worked out the way i wanted it too. Nothing fancy, just built it to use the space above the speakers since I really hate removing them all the time

looks to me like he used screws, to ease disassembly :wink:

Back
Top Bottom