Putting together a Pony Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving is a progressive learning experience like many other things in life. Jumping in with too much gear too fast can lead a person into relying on gear to cover up for fundamental skill issues and/or have too many options too fast, leading to poor decisions. There is a reason no agency teaches pony use for brand new divers.

You have listed 0-24 dives, you are not sure what kind of tank you just purchased (is it AL or Steel?) and you are not sure whit kind of regulator you can or should use. You purchased a rather large pony that will probably be slung, adding some complexity. I would delay using it. If you won't delay, at least dedicate multiple dives to practicing with it under controlled conditions. Don't just hook it up and think you are invincible because you have redundant air.

BTW: I own 2 pony bottles (different sizes) and use them often. They are a great tool to use with the right mind set and practice.

BTW: I own 2 pony bottles (different sizes) and use them often. They are a great tool to use with the right mind set and practice.

Yeah you've got the redundant air source. If something goes wrong, you got your backup.

If something goes wrong with a new diver who took your advice and left the Pony in the closet, they don't have that alternative. He or she better hope their buddy is attentive and ready and right there and able to share gas.

Because you decided they just couldn't handle it.

Diving is a progressive learning experience like many other things in life. Jumping in with too much gear too fast can lead a person into relying on gear to cover up for fundamental skill issues and/or have too many options too fast, leading to poor decisions.

How about, rather than telling the new diver to throw the Pony in the closet for a year or his next 50 dives because a 30 cf tank is big and probably needs to be slung, you suggest that he get a smaller one, such as a 19cf Pony, which should be sufficient for his needs, and explain that he can use a standard regulator and a small pressure gauge, and attach it right to his main tank using a universal strap, and hang the regulator around his neck with an elastic band so it's right there if and when he might need it?

Never mind I just did

Yeah you've got the redundant air source. If something goes wrong, you got your backup.

If something goes wrong with a new diver who took your advice and left the Pony in the closet, they don't have that alternative. He or she better hope their buddy is attentive and ready and right there and able to share gas.

Because you decided they just couldn't handle it.

How about, rather than telling the new diver to throw the Pony in the closet for a year or his next 50 dives because a 30 cf tank is big and probably needs to be slung, you suggest that he get a smaller one, such as a 19cf Pony, which should be sufficient for his needs, and explain that he can use a standard regulator and a small pressure gauge, and attach it right to his main tank using a universal strap, and hang the regulator around his neck with an elastic band so it's right there if and when he might need it?

Never mind I just did

Hey Steve,

I am not sure why you attack someone anytime you don't like their advice. A normal person expects a variety of answers on SB, considers them and then makes their own decision. I am sure the OP is capable of this, but you are one of few exasperating personalities who cannot understand or allow anyone to disagree with them. This attitude is clear in the many threads you have been fighting with others. It is getting old!

You have admitted you almost killed yourself using a spare air on another thread. Then you describe how your replacement pony saved your life because you were stupid and delayed your turn to 1300lbs on a dive in heavy current and ran low of gas. Not exactly stellar credentials in my book.

And yes, I have my redundant air supply for solo diving or when diving with instant buddies. Its the right tool for the job, it is not the tool for all jobs for for all divers in all phases of their dive career. If it was, then you would see at least some legitimate training agencies teaching it to new divers.

You have admitted you almost killed yourself using a spare air on another thread. Then you describe how your replacement pony saved your life because you were stupid and delayed your turn to 1300lbs on a dive in heavy current and ran low of gas. Not exactly stellar credentials in my book.

Grumpy, I'm not looking for your approval.

Unless you're my dad.

ARE you my dad?

2zg7m12.gif

"Grumpy" Just chill man. I stared this thread for advice about putting together a pony bottle. It wasn't about the pros and cons of having one. We all have our opinions. You stated your opinion and that's cool. It's not cool when people get into arguments or change the topic of the thread.

My question to the OP is why are looking into a pony bottle? To answer your question about equipment, get the same regulator as your primary regulator, and brass SPG on a 6" hose. If you break your spg on your primary setup you can swap out the hoses and use the one off your "pony" seup, but you won't have a "pony" setup when this happens, samething goes for your primary regulator.

I agree with Grumpyoldguy on his views regarding pony bottles. The task within itself is a task load, and a beginner diver has other tasks they should be concentrating on, ie tank pressure, remaining dive time, bouyancy, etc, etc. For me I will not dive with a noob carrying a "pony bottle" because in the end they will use it as a crutch. The one time I dove with a person carrying a "pony bottle", they lied to me about their pressure because they did not want to end a dive early because they consume air. I was pretty pissed seeing him breathing off that thing at our safety stop. I do carry a stage cylinder (pony bottle) when and if the dive calls for it, ie. solo diving, and tec diving.

If I am diving with a beginner diver, I will take the lead, and keep a very close eye on them. I watch their bouyancy, kicking, breathing, and I have them check their air pressure often and show me (if needed), ie every 5-10 mins because I check mine that often. During the safety stop, I like to pratice fin pivots (if possible).

In the end, experienced divers should be helping out the beginner divers to become better divers.

No problem, I will not post any more on this one.

Seriously though, in a couple of months after you have done a dozen or so dives with it, let us know how the AL30 works for you as a general purpose pony in So Cal.

Dive safe and have fun

I was pretty pissed seeing him breathing off that thing at our safety stop.

"You were "pretty pissed" because he was breathing off that thing during our safety stop"

Perhaps he was down to around 3 or 400 lbs in his primary and he was overly concerned about draining it?

Perhaps he was practicing using his pony bottle and what better time to do it would be during a safety stop?

Here you are jumping to conclusions and getting all bent out of shape because you think he did something reckless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom