Putting quick release buckles on old school weight integrated BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIY WI Quick Release Buckle.jpg

Got this stock image from the web and painted arrows in GIMP. It's kinda rough so forgive me.

The green circles show the connection points on the male and female ends that you have to worry about modifying. You only have to file down the MALE portion (the side with the prongs).
File down where the red arrows are pointing. You want to round out the edge so it doesn't hook as sturdy onto the female end. This will allow you to pull with enough force that the male portion will give and slide out of the female portion without having to press the prongs in as you would normally do.

It's kinda like gunsmithing when you're lightening your trigger pull. Go very slow and continually resemble and test after ever 2-3 swipes with your file. If you file too much there's no going back.
Use a very fine grind stone like a gummy stone or very fine sand paper to file round or angle out the prong.

I would advise getting a quick release that uses an angle prong or a flat prong as that's easiest to work with in terms of what angle you're going to file it down.
The angle prong is like in the picture I uploaded. You'll just want to round out the hook part.
The flat prong instead has a right angle turn that sits flush with the female end. You'll want to file out a 30-45 degree angle on the corner of that right angle; and possibly round out the corner of the prong that still catches the female portion.
You just need to reshape the top layer so from at a distant it doesn't look like the prong was modified. There's no need to really file down the plastic a bunch.

---------- Post Merged at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Also when you're testing, web some webbing into the quick release so you have more to grab when you test pulling it. Remember that you'll be pulling it with the aid of weight and gravity, so as long as it gives with a lot of your strength on dry land, it should work when you load it up.
Be sure to test it out in the pool before you dive the system too.

thanks for the info. I will try it out.

Back
Top Bottom