Puter trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
FYI, I am out of pocket these days with a sick puter at home. The only time I can post right now is at work, which means I'll be scarce till the puter is fixed again... Miss yall and miss diving!

Foo

Hey, Foo, it's a "pooter" . . .

Hey Dennis, there's nothing wrong with my pooter! Ask my family...

But my puter is another thing- 1st, it started giving me this message that my Norton antivirus was not working, and it said that i needed to uninstall and reinstall it. Well, I ignored that for a couple of weeks, knowing what a pain it was gonna be. When I finally did go to the Symantec website, it said that they weren't sure why I got that error message, but that it could be because of a virus/trojan, etc. I uninstalled it and reinstalled- my computer slowed WAAAAAAY down after this move. (And it was none too fast prior, arrrghhh!). However, a scan by the virus program said NO viruses.

So, I asked advice at work. After making sure that I have spybot, the suggestion was to completely delete the Symantec product, and download a free antivirus. So, I did- computer moved no faster, and it also showed no virus.

So, I decided to try to clean up my programs, old downloads, etc. I spent time doing that last night, then finished by defragging. I went to bed while the defrag was happening- woke up to a horrifying sight. The desktop items are now about 100 times bigger than they were when I went to sleep, the computer is in "safe mode", and I can't even figure out how to get my desktop back to where I can even see anything. Nor do I know what to do about safe mode. AND, when I boot the computer, I get a message about some file being missing from a SYMANTEC registry item. So I am completely at a loss about what to do, besides spend the $$ to take it in.

Any suggestions, besides throwing it off a bridge, would be most welcome. Thanks!
Foo

First of all foo symantec, i have found, is crap. i dont trust as far as i can delete it. anyway sounds like you have pretty serious infestation and when stuff like that happens i back-up what i can and reformat and reload the OS. fresh start pretty much.
anyway, thats my two cents.

I think that's my option, phaze... only how do I do that? I'm ready. My main problem is that everything I can see is so overlarged that there are only a few things that I can even see in each window. I can get to the "my computer" though, so please advise about how to reformat and reload the os?
Foo

Foo, don't do that!

Buy a NEW hard drive and put it in. You can then put the old one back in as the "slave" to it. You will have all your data. There are a couple of gotcha's, but keep the old drive without formatting it if you can.

What OS are you currently running? What machine (specifics), how old?

Mark

Before you go spending money which might be better served purchasing scuba gear:

1) What brand of PC
2) What are the hardware specs
3) What Operating System (OS) are you running.
4) Have you tried rebooting to correct the "overlarge" issue?
5) Are you a local phone call to Dallas?

Charley

i do agree with mweitz, buy an additional hard drive BUT the problem with that is that it does not remove any virus' from your machine and they will still cause problems. Also you still have to load an OS onto the new hard drive. and once you get all the data you need off the drive the ONLY way to be sure that all viruses are removed from the drive is to format it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom