Push for the Connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just finished watching the GUE/WKPP "Push For the Connection" DVD. To be honest, after numerous videos of living room couches, speedo-clad workouts and scowls at passing traffic off-camera, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. But the production quality is quite high, and even better, the storytelling is compelling and well-paced; I was left with a real appreciation of the sheer effort and accomplishment that the WKPP team pulled off in finally making the Wakulla-Turner connection. Though it's not exactly up-to-the-minute news for anyone who has been following the WKPP's exploits through they years, this is the first time that I've seen any actual footage from these dives, and the DVD does a good job detailing the various failed attempts eventually leading up to the connection.

The diving footing is great too. The sheer amount of gear these guys and the support teams haul around is amazing, and I'm pretty sure that the line on just one of their reels is longer than the total distance I've ever dived in my life. Some highlights for me were the temporary-head-hold for the can lights while working, the placement and use of the huge rubbermaid deco habitats, and even silly stuff like the visible counterlung action on the RB80s.

In all, definitely worth watching for anyone interested in seeing the utter extremes of cave exploration.

Btw, what's up with Casey's drysuit? It looks like his exhaust valve is on his right shoulder; does he just prefer it that way?

Last edited:
I had that video in my hands yesterday at EE, and put it down. I guess I should get a copy. As for Casey's suit, I think he mentioned getting some that way as it was thought to be easier to dump while scootering. George had some that way too.

I had fun with pfcaj last year hauling tanks and scooters... glad he made the video. He works dang hard, and is a good guy.

Where is the video found? Is it somewhere in the KPP area of SB? I will go check but if you could post it's location (where to buy it I assume) it would be helpful.

It's available at GUE.com. It is definitely one of GUE's better video productions. Although, I haven't watched the video on Chips Hole or the Mysterious Malady yet. It's worth the watch. There is a nice mix of narration, top side video, and underwater video. Excellent documentary.

Oops, you probably can't find it cause I screwed up the name of the DVD, twice :/ It's called "WKPP: Push for the Connection" (and not "Pushing the Connection" as I originally wrote).

Maybe I'm just underexposed, but watching this video has made me think that there isn't a whole lot of video of these extraordinary pushes. It's understandable, as it's done very rarely, by a very small group of people, with strict requirements and specific goals, so video is probably at best a secondary or tertiary consideration. But it does make me glad that they do end up documenting it and releasing the footage.

So which one is pfcaj?

mysterious malady was pretty boring

Be careful who you say that to, I believe that Gene Hobbs had quite a bit to do with Mysterious Malady. :D Much more went into the behind-the-scenes stuff of that DVD than what some people would think.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom