Purging of instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is Bob Sherwood still the training director?

I thought he was 1 of many (like 4 people). I thought after AG, they had more than 1 training director (its run by committee)

At the moment, they show seven people on the training council, with Jarrod as the head. Bob Sherwood's page still lists him as director of training, though.

GUE eats its' young. If things continue as they are I wouldn't be surprised to see it gone in 3 or 4 years.

Pity.

Guess I need to hurry up and take all their cave and tech classes while I can. :wink:

Guess I need to hurry up and take all their cave and tech classes while I can. :wink:

I had a chance to see some old archives of the GUE website a while ago. Every year since they started listing instructors, they have had sizable turnover with their instructor core. Its really nothing new.

Somehow I suspect there will be a reasonable amount of instructors teaching good tech/cave classes - even if GUE somehow goes away.

Edit:
The first archive I can find with instructor listings is here. That original list has 22 instructors.

Compare that to the list of instructors for the end of 2000 here. In a little over a year and a half, 5 of the original instructors had moved on.

The one that jumped out at me was Marc Hall ... but I'm not surprised.

Right, Marc had not taught in a long time as far as I recall.

More worrying is the departure of more "senior" people like AG and Andy Kerslake -- it's really hard to replace experience like that, even if there are strong differences of opinion...

Somehow I suspect there will be a reasonable amount of instructors teaching good tech/cave classes - even if GUE somehow goes away.

As long as they stick around until I finish up all the classes I intend to take :)
You can pry my GUE training from my cold dead hands in all honesty.

I have often wondered what the place of a boutique agency was going to be. Especially since some (mostly newer) instructors from other agencies are starting to incorporate elements of GUE's teachings into their courses, often informally. I am all for GUE, have taken (and even eventually passed) fundamentals, and wish to possibly take more courses at some point; however, it is not clear what the long term future holds as far as GUE goes.

So you'll have cards that can't be renewed in three years? :)

Well, as long as there is someone to man the fax machine, renewing cards should be simple as there is no extra "training" required (for a non-instructor position)

If the entire thing goes to crud, I guess in theory there could be some kind of issue if you go to a place where people do not know you ...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom