Purge Valve or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking at a

Scubapro CrystalVu without Purge
vs
Scubapro CrystalVu with Purge

Mask seem to be a personal item that everyone chooses differently with their own individual different reasons so mask recommendations are not needed.

This is stricty a question on what are the advantages and disadvantages of the purge valve??

Possible Advantage:
  • If the purge valve is the lowest point in your mask, you should be able to blow water out by simply exhaling slightly through your nose.

Possible Disadvantages:
  • The purge valve can leak due to sand, etc, which will make it worse than a mask without a purge.
  • The purge valve may create a space where a small amount of water remains -- this can be *immensely* annoying.
  • The purge valve may make it difficult to clear the mask in other orientations. (I like clearing my mask while facing a wall with my head to the side. With a purge, I'd have to turn my head upright.)
  • On some masks, the purge makes it more difficult to pinch your nose to equalize your ears.
  • On some masks, the purge is positioned such that, eventually, it becomes an irritation.

That's all I can come up with at the moment, but that should cover a lot.

(Incidentally, there really is only the one possible advantage to a mask purge valve, but you'll have to decide for yourself how that compares to the possible disadvantages. It may be that you want a purge, but for many of us, one or more of the disadvantages were significant enough to decide against it.)

I used a purge mask for years due to a mustache and age lines around the mouth that allowed leaks. It was easy to just exhale through the nose and get the water out. However, I now have a low volume mask that fits well. Shavnig a 1/4 " of mustache under the nose now has the mask fitting well without leaks for over two years. A low volume mask is easy to clear while a purge mask is usually high volume.

In the long run, it is personal preference. If you need a purge mask, I have several old ones for sale, cheap!

I wouldn't buy a purge mask because of the leak issue. If you're going to spend a decent amount of money, I'd buy a low volume mask like the new Cressi Sub Matrix, which would be easy to clear as well...

I agree. I would go with a low volume, non-purge, black silicone mask.

I've been diving purge valve masks for years and have had mostly positive experiences with them. The flapper valve can foul (and has) but only after mistreatment on my part - no big deal, just remove the mask, swish the valve around to dislodge the crud and replace the mask. On the whole, purge valves make it possible to clear the mask without having to go vertical or tilt your head, you decide how important that is to you. I've got a mustache and won't trim it to create a gap beneath my nose which means I have pretty much a constant dribble of water to deal with, the purge mask makes that process more comfortable - all I have to do is gently exhale through my nose and the water is gone.

YRMV, that's what makes the world go 'round. Not to belittle the other guys, but the angst over purge valves seems to derive as much from the clone wars as it does from actual experience. Remember, if you decide you don't like the purge valve, a little dab of Aquaseal will permanently solve the problem.

reefraff:
Not to belittle the other guys, but the angst over purge valves seems to derive as much from the clone wars as it does from actual experience.

Nope, had one for 4 years. Got sick of the high volume, so I got a low volume purgeless mask which is actually easier to clear.

My vote would be no purge valve. IMO it's an unnecessary "feature". Learn to clear your mask and stick with an inexpensive low volume mask that fits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom