Purge valve masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my mask, I have tried 3 of them. I tend to get a little water in it while equalizing when diving down. The little bit of water tends to get where my nose is and I feel like I can only look at the ground and not enjoy the dive. I try clearing it but it really does not work that well, looking up or around dosent work as well and has the few drops roll into my nose and i feel like i need to breath out of it. If I buy a mask with a purge valve, will it let me purge even a small amount of water out where my nose piece is? Or is it only for clearing a fully flooded mask?

You will find nothing but hate here for purge valve masks but my wife and I have used Tusa Imprex Hyperdry masks for many years and want nothing else. Of course I also dive split fins and use a Spare Air. Hasn't killed me yet!

I've been using a purge mask for three decades and love them. I never have to clear water from my mask.

I've been using a purge mask for three decades and love them. I never have to clear water from my mask.
Will it get the small amount of water out that tends to creep up your nose when moving your head?

You will find nothing but hate here for purge valve masks but my wife and I have used Tusa Imprex Hyperdry masks for many years and want nothing else. Of course I also dive split fins and use a Spare Air. Hasn't killed me yet!
I have tried that one but the skirt really hurt under my nose so i couldn't use it. I am hoping i will have better luck with a different kind

Will it get the small amount of water out that tends to creep up your nose when moving your head?
Yes. I very rarely get more than a few drops, but a small exhale through the nose clears the mask quickly.
I'm currently using the Oceanic ION 2 Mask w/ Purge Valve - Clear
Oceanic-ION-2-Mask-w--Purge-Valve---Clear.jpg

but my wife and I have used Tusa Imprex Hyperdry masks
My wife still uses her TUSA Imprex from 1998, although she strictly is a snorkeler now - had to give up diving unfortunately. She never had a problem diving with it.

First and foremost a person should make sure a mask fits or has a good seal before getting wet. My buddy has a purge valve and swears by it - says he wouldn't get anything else as he uses it to keep his mask free of water - and he has a beard/mustache!! Me - I don't have a purge valve but sometimes exhale through my nose anyway - sometimes to clear water, sometimes just to do something different.

will it let me purge even a small amount of water out where my nose piece is?
Yes, it should do that but still test the fit first - that alone should help to eliminate leaking problems.

I'm currently using the Oceanic ION 2 Mask w/ Purge Valve - Clear
That's a pretty sharp mask. A person could even put prescription lenses in it.

I have tried that one but the skirt really hurt under my nose so i couldn't use it. I am hoping i will have better luck with a different kind
Loosen the strap. Doesn't have to be that tight.

No, you'll have to get very refined with your purging technique without the purge valve.

A well-designed mask with a purge valve will get all the water out of the mask, and if some comes in, you can easily remove it. I have not had a purge valve leak, and I've got some old ones. But, if you like visibility, the purge valve nose-type do inhibit down vision just a bit. So try out a number of them, in the dive store, and make a decision.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom