Purge mask Hurting my nose!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SilverNU

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have an Oceanic Mako 1 w/purge.
The purge hole has a small piece of plastic sticking up out of the middle of the purge mechanism.

This piece of plastic irritates my the bottom of my nose.

Anyone know if this piece is necessary to the function of the purge mechanism?

Its not the only mask Ive seen with this piece of plastic.

The purge mechanism is two pieces. A rigid piece that kinds looks like a pizza with slices out of it, and then a covering flexible flapper valve. The flapper seals against the rigid bit until you exhale through your nose, then the flapper moves out of the way, allowing the water and air to flow out.

I've never looked closely at a Mako mask, but in most cases the bit that sticks up is the part of the flapper that pushes through the rigid part to hold the two pieces together. You might be able to trim off a little bit, but if you cut off too much the flapper will fall off then the purge will become the proverbial screen door in a submarine.

It may also me that the designer provided some sort of bit to help guide the water into the purge, in which case it could probably be trimmed - but you need to look closely.

Not to sound too snarky, but why have a purge mask at all? Clearing the mask (without a purge) is a basic skill that all divers should master the first night of open water class. Purge valves really are nothing more than Dumbo's magic feather - you don't need it to clear.

In addition, my experience is that purge masks are never as comfortable a non-purge masks. Also, the purge assembly is a failure point in that the flapper can get stuck open, or the entire purge assembly can pop out at an inconvenient time.

Non-purge masks are (generally) less expensive, more reliable, and more comfortable. My suggestion is to try one.

thanks for your reply..

I do have a couple masks.. both purge and non purge. I do believe that my non-purge mask is slightly more comfortable, but, my purge mask is easier to clear. Although not enough to 'require' a purge mask.. I just like options :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom