Purge in masks question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laxfreak44

Reaction score
What is the difference between a mask with purge and a mask without purge? What does the purge do? Also which do you prefer? I'm a scuba diving hopeful that needs some help so pretty much anything you can tell me would be helpful.

A purge is a one way valve in the nose of the mask which makes it easier to clear. Some people love them, some people hate them. You can clear a mask without a purge valve almost as easily. My primary mask has a purge, my back up doesn't, and I like them both. The DIR folks will tell you the purge is a failure point, which of course it is. I've haven't had a problem with mine, but I suppose it could fall out or something. The valve is removable. I take mine out to clean it on a regular basis. Possibly the hole it fits in could get too loose with use. Just pick a mask that fits your face well. Try it in the pool before you take it to the ocean. Most stores will accept returns if you have only used it in the pool, but the purchase is final once it hits salt water. If it fits well in the pool, doesn't leak and you have no difficulty clearing it, it doesn't matter whether it has a purge or not. Have fun!

I agree with ccohn2000's description of the differences, with one exception. A purge mask is not any easier to clear. They merely clear in different ways. Since you are not a diver, you may not know what it means to clear a mask. From time to time, a mask may be partially or fully flooded with water. Clearing is to remove the water from the mask. It's a very simple and extremely easy task with or withou a purge. It's an unnecessary failure point.

I have both types and really wish that I wouldn't have spent the money on a purge mask. It is really a presonal preferance.

Depending on how you keep air in the mask, and the conditions you dive in... Sometimes a purge will leak. This usually happens if you have the air in the mask at the same pressure as the water, at which point, there is nothing holding the valve down. At that point, both current or head movement will result in water leaking in. Not everyone does that, so one may or may not work well.

Note: Some people leak air out all the time through their nose and some have the mask slightly sucked to their face. Both prevent leaking.

I don't dive with a purge, but my wife does. One of our sets of masks are the identical model.. the purge leaks on me, but not her.

I have a purge valve on my mask but seldom use it...I clear the old fashioned way probably 90% of the time...it just seems to be a faster method...

If you get a purge style mask, continue to practice the traditional clearing technique, since its an easy skill and you never know when you might have to be stuck with a mask without a purge valve.

What is a purge? A waste of money and a gimmick to get you to pay more for something you don't need.

ccohn2000:
Most stores will accept returns if you have only used it in the pool, but the purchase is final once it hits salt water. If it fits well in the pool, doesn't leak and you have no difficulty clearing it, it doesn't matter whether it has a purge or not. Have fun!
Just a point of information:

The zipper on my right boot broke on my first salt water dive. After having been told the above, I assumed I was stuck with a busted zippered boot. A few weeks later, one of the guys at my LDS was saying something about a batch of bad zippers on boots. I told him about my broken zipper and that I assumed I was SOL because it had been in salt water.:D

Everyone had a good laugh and I got a new pair of boots. If it breaks on the first few salt water dives because of a defective part, take it back! A reputable LDS will replace the item.

Second point of information:
I have a mustache and beard. I am nearly 49 years old. I have worn at least a mustache since I was 16. I am not about to shave my upper lip just because I got certified. I am also not about to smear Vaseline or similar goo on my upper lip to achieve a perfect seal.

As a result, I put up with a small amount of capillary wicking of water through my mustache and into my mask.

I never realized how many times I clear my mask until my dive partner mentioned it after a dive. And this from a guy who just about panicked the first five minutes of my first pool session when, standing in the shallow end with regulator in mouth, I had to put my unmasked face in the water and breathe!

Clearing is easy once you’ve learned the skill. It takes practice and patience. Belive me, if I can…you can!

Purge masks are a thing that sound like a good idea before you learn to dive. You might assume it makes it easier to clear, but once you've learned you will probably find it's not something you need or want. (You actually won't see many people diving with them.) They can leak, be a little more bulky, sometimes the purge can be uncomfortable or get in the way of pinching your nose which you will probably do to clear your ears, at least at first.

I think it's best to work with a standard mask first and then get a purge only if you discover you have a good reason. For example some people with mustashes can never seem to avoid a slow leak and find a purge nice to have.

I'd recommend buying one without first and if the bug bites you later get one with a purge. I doubt you will ever look back.

Back
Top Bottom