Purchasing the basic materials - some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guido167

New
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm just new to this forum and plan to begin with my PADI OW this summer! So don't know if it is a must, but I want to purchase a mask, snorkel and fins before I begin this course. But I really don't know which brans is the best (Mares, Cressi, ScubaPro.. etc.).
And what is the difference in fins: open or closed, I know that by the open fins you've to buy also a dive shoe, but are there more differences?

Do you guys have any advice where to look and where I have to keep an eye on?
My budget for these 3 things is probably not much more than 150 euros, hope that will be enough?

Is it a must to have one set fins for scuba and another set for freediving? (also snorkel and mask) or can I just use it for both?

Thanks in advance!

Guido

The mask and snorkel can be the same ones you uses for both. When it comes to a mask and snorkel it is not about the brand as it is to do with how well they fit you and are comfortable. You NEED to go and try a mask in a shop in person before buying it.

As for fins, usually scuba and free diving fins are different; however, it depends on your snorkeling skills. If you just want to swim on the surface then your scuba fins will work. If you plan on actually free diving then I would recommend free diving fins. Almost all divers use open heel fins for scuba.

Okay, thanks Michael for the explanation! Very useful!
I will go to a shop here in Holland to fit everything! But what is usually the best brans for fins? And I think Freedive fins are longer and more flexible than those for scuba, is that correct?

As already stated, the most important quality of a mask is that it has to fit properly, or it will leak. It is worth going to a shop or shops and trying a variety of masks, and testing them properly. I put a mask on and press it to my face with my fingers, and see if it will stay in place when I release it. Note that, if you test sealing by sucking in through your nose, you can make almost ANY mask seal with enough suction.

As far as snorkels go, I would buy an inexpensive one, but then, my snorkel is in the bottom of a box somewhere . . . :)

For fins, I would start with inexpensive paddle fins and see if they work for you. Jets are classics, but there are other makes and some are even cheaper (Deep See Pulse fins are what I use in the pool, although I prefer stiffer fins for open water diving.) If you have problems with the paddles, you can always move up to something more expensive, but I think spending $200 or more for a set of fins as a brand new diver is money not well invested. And I do NOT like split fins for OW students, because it is very difficult to use them to stabilize yourself in the water, and that leads to much more hand swimming than is necessary.

My best advice would be to go to the dive shop you are going to take the course with and talk to the owner about what you are looking to accomplish eventually with diving. An honest owner should steer you in the right direction with your gear and not be looking to sell you the most expensive things for personal gain. As previously stated, mask fit is very important, so finding one you can try on is a good idea. If you are also planning to use your snorkel for snorkeling, you might want to look at a nicer one that is comfortable and prevents water from entering, but if it is only for scuba, you will most likely only use it on rare occasions, so cheap is the way to go in my opinion. Good luck with everything!

there is no best brand. the fact is simple for basic equipment, with a handful of exceptions they are all good enough and the only thing that really matters is fit. Your mask and fins are two of the simplest but most important factors of diving comfort, find the ones that fit you best.

There are a couple of mask that many people find comfortable, Mares X-vision and Atomic frameless are examples of them, although there are many others. Don't skimp on the cash for a comfortable mask

There are a couple of mask that many people find comfortable, Mares X-vision and Atomic frameless are examples of them, although there are many others. Don't skimp on the cash for a comfortable mask

I wasn't going to start recommending brands because everyone has their personal preferences, but I love my mares liquidskin x-vision. I find it extremely comfortable.

I've never spent more than $40 for a new mask. You do have to try on the mask to ensure that it fits properly.

Get a cheap snorkel. If you look around, you can get one for under $20.

For fins, I'd have to agree with what TSandM said. Don't spend a lot of money on your first set of fins for scuba diving, particularly if you don't know whether you'll be diving a lot after certification. I bought a $30 pair of TUSA liberator fins (paddle-style, open-heel). They worked great for certification and for a number of years afterward. They've become my "loaner" fins in recent years because I'm now diving dry with other fins.

Open-heeled fins allow a diver to wear a separate soled bootie. This is important if you're diving in cold water (need to keep toes warm) and/or you are doing shore diving where you have to walk over rocky ground. If you'll just be doing boat dives or soft sandy shore entries in warm water, closed-heel fins would work just fine.

Don't skimp on the cash for a comfortable mask

Although... even though I normally despise cheap gear, I've found that one of the least expensive masks I own is the one that fits the best. Masks seem "weird" that way. I'm not saying to purposely buy an inferior one, but just that expensive/high-quality might not equal fit for you, in a mask.

On the snorkel, I agree with what a previous poster said: I've done a lot of (mostly) surface snorkeling, and for that I like a "fancier" snorkel with a water diverter/purge, etc. But I hated that one for diving as it was always catching and getting pushed around. So now I have a very simple snorkel for diving, when I bring one, and I have the fancy snorkel for snorkeling.

Fins are similar in that I have a pair of full-foot, more flexible fins I use for snorkeling, and then a different pair of open-heeled fins I use for diving, with booties. I like to have something on my feet when I take my fins off (for walking around), and the booties provide that as they have a sole. Also they are warm.

Okay, it probably sounds like I just spent €300 for you.... but.... I only spent $5 (€3.50 :wink:)on my first set of mask/fins/snorkel, and I still have and use that gear for some things - the snorkel is still my absolute favorite! I bought them all used at a "garage sale" (not sure if you have those.... like a car boot sale). By the time I spent "real" money for others I knew more exactly what I wanted. So maybe that is an option?

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom