Purchasing Own Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey. I was in the same boat as you are; my husband and I just finished our OW certifications, and, since we live in FL, will probably be doing a lot of diving. It's much better to own your own gear, because the rental stuff is really a gamble, IMO. The BC I trained with had a leaking inflater, so it kept filling itself up with air. My diving experience was a lot better with new gear, fitted to my body type.

I would say to check out Xcel wetsuits - I haven't heard anything negative about them, and they have a pretty good wear and tear reputation. The one that I'm ordering will be tailor-made, will run me about $160, and will have a lifetime warranty (any tears along seams and such, the manufacturer will fix them.)

The BC I decided to use was the Aeris Contour - it's made for women, so the buckles are placed strategically AWAY from the chest area, and the vest itself is more fitted for a woman's body. My husband uses the male counterpart of this vest, which I believe is called the Aeris LX. He says it works great.

I would suggest waiting for end-of-summer sales; we purchased full gear for about $1,400 each. That included the BC, wetsuit, fins, first stage/regs, dive computer, mask, snorkel, gear bag, and a bottle of defog. Not too bad. My only complaint, after using the gear on a dive yesterday, was that my mask leaked a bit (but then, it was a deep dive, and pressure had a hand in it).

Like other replies have mentioned, some dive shops will let you try out the equipment.

As for drysuits...can't help you there! You'll have to let me know what *you* think about them! Haha!

Hey. I was in the same boat as you are; my husband and I just finished our OW certifications, and, since we live in FL, will probably be doing a lot of diving. It's much better to own your own gear, because the rental stuff is really a gamble, IMO. The BC I trained with had a leaking inflater, so it kept filling itself up with air. My diving experience was a lot better with new gear, fitted to my body type.

I would say to check out Xcel wetsuits - I haven't heard anything negative about them, and they have a pretty good wear and tear reputation. The one that I'm ordering will be tailor-made, will run me about $160, and will have a lifetime warranty (any tears along seams and such, the manufacturer will fix them.)

The BC I decided to use was the Aeris Contour - it's made for women, so the buckles are placed strategically AWAY from the chest area, and the vest itself is more fitted for a woman's body. My husband uses the male counterpart of this vest, which I believe is called the Aeris LX. He says it works great.

I would suggest waiting for end-of-summer sales; we purchased full gear for about $1,400 each. That included the BC, wetsuit, fins, first stage/regs, dive computer, mask, snorkel, gear bag, and a bottle of defog. Not too bad. My only complaint, after using the gear on a dive yesterday, was that my mask leaked a bit (but then, it was a deep dive, and pressure had a hand in it).

Like other replies have mentioned, some dive shops will let you try out the equipment.

As for drysuits...can't help you there! You'll have to let me know what *you* think about them! Haha!

Sounds good! I ended purchasing the Sherwood Avid new model BC and have used it on a couple dives and it's pretty nice. It's really streamlined and I agree that having your own equipment is the way to go. If I keep renting it's going to add up so why not just splurge! So far I have snorkel, mask, fins, booties, and the BC. I'm looking at purchasing the Mares Abyss regulator and then wetsuit and gauges will come next. Too bad it will be getting cold in Michigan soon, just another execuse to plan a trip down to the Keys to see my grandparents!!!

Buy your own Reg setup with octo and computer along with your BC. Make sure the BC will have enough lift for cold water. (weights, extra equipment etc) Make sure your reg is fitted/installed with a kit for cold water protection/pollution.

Renting equipment in some locals is a joke.

Henderson makes some of the best wet suits for the last 30 plus years. Go to Rodales Scuba Diver Mag and see the reviews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom