Purchasing Gear Help: Atomic Z2 Reg, Swivel Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captnbrimster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, I am about to purchase some Atomic gear through a special purchasing program straight to the vendor.

My question is about the Z2 Regulator (for $184). Is it worth it to get the swivel hose for a little more (+$30) money? Is it that much more comfortable? I know its a great deal, but I just would like to know pros and cons from users if possible. I believe this makes it the Z2x.

Also, I have the option of getting it sealed or not for an additional $20. Is it generally worth this to most divers? I plan to be scuba diving 3+ times a week in the keys. No plans of cold diving.

Any thoughts on the Atomic SS1, or Atomic Split fins would also be helpful. THanks

I like having the swivel. I've dove Atomic gear without (B1) and with it (T2) and IMO it makes a difference in jaw fatigue over multiple dives.

With a standard length hose, sometimes it would feel like I was slighty pushing against the hose when I looked right. Now I almost forget the 2nd is in my mouth.

They're known to be very reliable - for $30 I'd get one.

$30 is well worth the swivel....I notice a big difference when I switch back to non-swiveled regs during classes.

With not doing cold water dives, I don't see a need for paying to have it environmentally sealed....plus, when it comes time for servicing, the christo-lube gets expensive when they refill/re-seal.

Split fins: you will get opinions both for and against.... they are easy on the legs, but you will work harder in current. As for atomic specific fins, nothing wrong with them. They are high-end from a price stand point, but if you are getting a deal, then price prob isnt an issue.

SS1 - I dive an SS1 and ST1, mainly because of the Keyman discount.....they are both solid choices though.

Just my .02 worth.....

For $30 I would agree the swivel is well worth it!! I never really noticed how much it helped until I went back to using rental gear with classes...

Have you ever used split fins? If you're only diving in warm waters with little current you might find that you really like them (reasons coglesby mentioned)! Split fins vs. not is going to be a matter of personal preference, but if you do like split fins then Atomic's variety are good!

IMO, swivels add weight to the right side of the second stage, meaning you have to bite down to keep the mouthpiece in.
Swivels and angel adapters simply allow hoses to flow smoothly without a harsh bow or bend.

Without them, if you have a good length hose and a good mouthpiece, you should be able to keep the mouthpiece in just with your lips, so no biting down or jaw fatigue required. (Assuming no current)
Sometimes being able to tuck the hose under your arm, rather than over, makes angle adapters and swivels worth it. You'll need a minimum of 40in of hose to make this work though.

With the sealed VS unsealed. If you have a lot of sand and grit floating in your waters, you may opt to get it sealed, so you can worry less about having to give it a thorough rinsing (because the grit will be completely shut out in the first place).
Having said that however, I see that it's a piston first stage. That could mean that a lot of expensive christo lube is used to seal it. In which case it's not worth the extra cost if you're just trying to block grit. IMO at least.
If they use some sort of equalization valve like Sherwood, then it might be worth the cost; depending on your diving conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom