Purchasing expensive gear - Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertp33

Reaction score
Ok, I have purchased almost everything I need via the web, but now I need a dive computer.

For example, I am looking at the Oceanic Veo 250. Why would I NOT want to get this from LiesurePro for $175.00 less than I can get it at a local dive shop or at a web-based local dive shop?

Why should I pay the extra $$?

I would never buy a large $ item (over $150.00) for $20 or $30 less than I can get it brand new. But if I can save over $150.00 - I feel like I am getting robbed to pay that much more to one store if I can get it online somewhere else.

Don't buy it from LP. You won't get a manufacturer's warranty with LP and if you ever have trouble, you'll have to wait 8 weeks for LP to service it. Buy from ScubaToys instead...they will match LP's low price AND you'll have a decent warranty.

Robertp33:
Ok, I have purchased almost everything I need via the web, but now I need a dive computer.

For example, I am looking at the Oceanic Veo 250. Why would I NOT want to get this from LiesurePro for $175.00 less than I can get it at a local dive shop or at a web-based local dive shop?

Why should I pay the extra $$?

I would never buy a large $ item (over $150.00) for $20 or $30 less than I can get it brand new. But if I can save over $150.00 - I feel like I am getting robbed to pay that much more to one store if I can get it online somewhere else.

The main reason will be that you will not be able to get is serviced under warranty. Oceanic will state that you did not buy it from an authorized reseller.

Please understand that I am not knocking LeisurePro. They provide excellent mail order service and prices. I have purchased several items from LeisurePro but these were all items where LeisurePro is an authorixzed reseller (Apollo, Citizen etc.).

I Don't buy from Leisure Pro any longer. Too many times seeing them ship used stuff.

Go check out scubatoys.com. The boys there will give you REAL Warranty and will match any prices you find. Extrememly helpful.

They are going to owe me a T shirt for all the advertisement I have done for them!!! Are you listening Larry???

I just bought an Aqua-Lung ABS Octo from LP its great! no warranty but oh well. Scuba.com will also match prices and offer full warranty. Im about to get a computer for $100 cheaper with warranty thanks to the price match at Scuba.com

You can buy Oceanic online - just make sure that the website contains the statement that the shop that you are buying from is an Oceanic authorized dealer. Scubatoys and Divers Direct are both Oceanic authorized dealers, and both support this site.

Check out the Cressi computer at LP. It's the same unit as sold by the much-revered Dive Rite. Compare the prices. It is an easy-to-use item with a large display and the most modern algorythm. It came with all the cards for a full factory warranty.

LP is the King of all dive retailers. They have always been good to me.

I am in Dallas where scubatoys is located and have been to their shop. They are good dudes, and defenitely offer the best prices out their. I bought my Mares Airlab from them cuz they beat any price on the net or @ the LDS.

Peace,

Just bought the Oceanic VT Pro from ScubaToys the other day....waiting for it to show up. Yeah, these guys are great, I've bought 2 things from them now and they ship it out ASAP and are very friendly to deal with. I made sure that I purchased my computer from an authorized dealer because I didn't want to take chances with my warranty on an item as expensive as that.....

I just got the Oceanic Atom computer. I went on my first dive trip with it and after the second dive I noticed the thing was fried. One of the push pins came loose and flooded the computer. I called my LDS which is authorized dealer and told them about the trouble. A few hours later I got word that the new computer was on the way and we would just replace the two computers. I may have payed a little more but the fast fix made it worth every penny. Oh ya the LDS went out of its way to repay me for the rented reg. I had to get to finish the weekend of diving... I do buy off the net but It payed off to use the LDS... Good luck....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom