Purchasing DIR Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerryg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok. I am going to commit to the DIR philosophy, however all of my gear except my backplate is non compliant. I can't afford to purchasing everything at once. What order should I purchase my equipment in.

IMHO, I would start with a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins—I’ve seen diverse in the 2 Fundies classes do very well with “non-DIR” BCs, regs etc. but the Jet Fins-type fins, because of their stiffness and weight, are crucial for doing the kicks and maneuvering/swimming/maintaining trim.

Get the correct hose setup first.

If you have the bp/wing and a long hose/bungeed backup reg set, you have the two most important components.

Next step is Jet Fins, then the class :)

You don't really need a long hose right off the bat, but the bungee backup should work with anything already purchased. Some people never even use the long hose for recreational diving although we all know it'll make you cool :wink:

jonnythan:
Get the correct hose setup first.

If you have the bp/wing and a long hose/bungeed backup reg set, you have the two most important components.

Next step is Jet Fins, then the class :)

Have you Dan Mackay's "Dress for Success"? Excellent box for gear rigging

I'd recomend you set up your reg 1st. It should only be hoses so thats not too bad. Then fins. you can get a used pair for around 50 bucks.

Jerryg:
Ok. I am going to commit to the DIR philosophy, however all of my gear except my backplate is non compliant. I can't afford to purchasing everything at once. What order should I purchase my equipment in.
Get with the local DIR group and just start diving with them... most guys have spares/extras around... I have pretty much an extra set of gear that I let newbies borrow. Just ask around

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom