Purchasing an Aluminum 80 Scuba Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captnbrimster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, I live in central Virginia where there are not many dive shops to purchase tanks, and the places that do have tanks want to charge way too much.

I found an CATALINA Aluminum 80 at divers-supply.com for $139.95:
Aluminum 80 With Valve @ Divers-Supply.com

Would this be consider a good buy? Would it need to be re-hydro tested and visual inspected after I receive it? Thanks

It looks like it's new, and it comes with current hydro and visual inspection.

Odds are, it's going to come empty, with the valve off, so you'll have to install the valve and get it filled. Some dive shops can be picky about filling a completely empty cylinder, so the worst thing is that you might have to pay for another visual inspection (which is ridiculous, in my opinion, but I've heard of people running into that issue with the occasional shop)

Have ya thought about buying used?

Be sure to factor in shipping and visual inspection fees.... and as bamamedic mentioned, see if you can find a used Al80 that is still in hydro... used tanks often sell at 50% of new price (or less), but will generally last many, many years.

Good luck.

buy a used one from SB---there are usually several for sale.....

craigslist?

I got 2 used ones (17 yrs. old) online for $75 Canadian (back when our dollar was worth less than U.S.$).

actually $139 for a new AL80 w/ valve is pretty decent.

shipping might eat you up.

Bamamedic is spot on that you might get hasseled getting it filled and they might require another VIS if the valve is off and no air in it.

Some folks mentioned "buying used". Nothing wrong with that. I've bought LOTS of used tanks before. However, lots of "6351T alloy tanks" made by Luxfer before May 1988 or May 1989 have issues because of "Substained load cracking (SLC)" with the 6351T alloy. so many dive shops won't fill them. So pretty much stay away from those, just because you'll eventually run into an issue getting them filled.

Good point, Mike! I completely forgot about that...as long as the tank is made after 1989, it should be free of the problematic alloy.

Hi; If you are going to buy a used AL80, make sure you check the tank number there are some AL tanks that are un safe, and most dive shops will not tounch them. Just do a google search for recalled, or un safe scuba tanks. If your looking for new try large sporting good super stores in your area. In california AL80 sell for about $139.00 new, so you don't have the VIP, or Hydro to pay formas with a used tank.

Fstorm99

Back
Top Bottom