Purchased drysuit, soliciting advice / opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased a used DUI TLS350 drysuit (got a great price, too) and have been looking into the accessories that go along with with it, specifically the undergarments and 'rock boots'. I've never owned a drysuit before, and wanted some input on what to wear under it. I've seen a range, from sweat pants and shirts to full-blown manufacturer undergarments. Same with the rock boots, everything from sneakers to the manufacturer provided rock boots. What I'm looking for is rational for paying big bucks for the manufacturers products if something else works.

I have the same suit with turbo soles. For undergarments I use DUI 300 jump suit with dry gloves. Then switch my zips out for wet gloves and thin ski style stuff from north face. I can tell you one piece undergarments are much better then two. I had fourth element artic and it kept riding up so had to ditch them.

Also keep in mind you should try and reach your valves with the undergarments on. Some might restrict your movement. Good luck! :D

I have had a CL200 crushed neoprene. Your suit has the zip seals correct? I think that is the only way they make them now. I have the Polar tech fleece. I Just wear two pairs of wool socks. The key to being warm is to layering. It does not have to be polar tech. My daughter uses a Weasel liner. The great thing about the DUI suits is being able to change out the boots without sending in the suit. Hope I answered some of your questions.

I have the 350 with the "sport package". Knee pads, pocket, hood and rock boots. I really like the boots but be warned - they are large. They almost don't work with my atomic split fins. The boots have lots of sole. You might need a larger fin - so check it out closely. As to the thermo layer - I have an Adams which works well for me to about 48f.

Thanks for the info. As I said, I'm trying to figure the best way to stretch the dollar and still stay warm.

I'd recommend looking at Cabela's, they have Polartec 300 for a fraction of the cost. I believe you can get Polartec overalls for $80.00 (they have pants too but I like the overalls because you don't get a mid-riff gap in the middle of your dive), and a jacket for $80.00.

They also sell Thinsulate. I prefer the polartec, I bought the Thinsulate 400 before I knew any better; it was so thick it ruined the great mobility of my CF300 suit.

Plus you can use these items for other things, like wear the jacket around after.

Thanks for the info. As I said, I'm trying to figure the best way to stretch the dollar and still stay warm.

I wear a custom made Polartec jumpsuit with my TLS350. I purchased this a few years ago off of eBay for $89. (I also purchased socks from this same seller, but do not remember the price I paid.) When I purchased this suit, after I used the buy it now function, I emailed him my measurements and in 2 weeks my jumpsuit arrived. I do not know if this seller is still active on eBay, but would recommend searching on eBay for drysuit undergarments to see if anyone is still offering something like this.

When it gets colder, I wear an REI Polartec vest underneath my jumpsuit. The vest cost me only $20.

Again, great info. This is why I love this forum! Thanks..

=You can good things from REI at decent prices you want to look for polartec. But I think it's best to go with "Dive Brand" some things will work fine like the lighter version, or capiliene under shirts or under armour will all be good but when you get heavier it gets thicker where as dive stuff atleast (Fourth Element" Which I use has compressed fabric. So its low bulk and works extremly well. It's been for me the best.

I will wear my Fourth Element Arctic in waters from 50-70F, Above that I will wear my XT250, Below 50F I wear the Fourth Element Arctic and XT250 had it down in waters 38F for 35min and was nice and warm. Also had Drygloves.

If the suit doesn'y have Pockets I would look at getting Two installed they come in Handy. Also this can be something later but I would think about a Pee-Valve. I dove my Drysuit for a year 30+ dives and didn't use one, Then next year I was down about 80' and it hit me I started having to go and as we were ascending it got more more tough to hold ultimately I had to cut my Dive short and make a quick dash to bathroom, Next day I took my suit into my LDS and have not had that problem since.

http://www.fourthelement.com/index.php

Back
Top Bottom