Purchase Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice thing about Apeks is that they can be serviced by any Aqualung dealer - and there's a lot of those worldwide.

In the Hot Deals section there is a Apeks Reg Closeouts (DS4 with 2 ATX40 seconds) listed. I am interested in opinions wether this is a reliable reg set. . . Are there better regs for that price out there?
The DS4 is a very reliable first stage. Solid, good breather, you can't go wrong with it. Although the ATX second stages are the older model - XTX is current, they are also great second stages.
buddhasummer:
Great regs, very reliable great breathing regs, can be changed to ATX50s very easily if you wish at any time in the future. If the price is good go for it.
Good point. Personally, I happen to prefer the ATX / XTX 50 second stages. You get both a venturi control and user adjustable breathing. Not a big deal for shallow, warm water recreational dives, just my personal preference.

I won't say there are necessarily better regs out there for the money. There may be a few regs that some consider as good, for somewhat less money.

I am biased - I dive Apeks, and I really like them. You pay for the quality of the reg, probably you also pay for the network of support around the country and the world. If you plan to travel to warm water destinations in the Caribbean, for example, that may well be worth it. If all your diving is going to be local, then any reg that you can have serviced locally will probably do. Look on eBay and Craigslist as well.

Thanks all who reponded with input. After your input and talking with John from Northeast Scuba Supply, I decided to place my order for the DS4/ATX40 package. He was very helpful walking me through my questions via email and then phone.

The DS4 is a very reliable first stage. Solid, good breather, you can't go wrong with it. Although the ATX second stages are the older model - XTX is current, they are also great second stages. [/COLOR] Good point. Personally, I happen to prefer the ATX / XTX 50 second stages. You get both a venturi control and user adjustable breathing. Not a big deal for shallow, warm water recreational dives, just my personal preference.

I won't say there are necessarily better regs out there for the money. There may be a few regs that some consider as good, for somewhat less money.

I am biased - I dive Apeks, and I really like them. You pay for the quality of the reg, probably you also pay for the network of support around the country and the world. If you plan to travel to warm water destinations in the Caribbean, for example, that may well be worth it. If all your diving is going to be local, then any reg that you can have serviced locally will probably do. Look on eBay and Craigslist as well.

Yes me too, I changed a set of ATX40s to ATX50s took about 20 mins IIRC from start to finish. Parts were a little spendy though but worth it to me.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 11:23 PM ----------

Thanks all who reponded with input. After your input and talking with John from Northeast Scuba Supply, I decided to place my order for the DS4/ATX40 package. He was very helpful walking me through my questions via email and then phone.

Congrats, you've made a good choice, like I said they are good great regs.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 11:25 PM ----------

Nice thing about Apeks is that they can be serviced by any Aqualung dealer - and there's a lot of those worldwide.

They are very simple regs and don't require any Apeks specific tools to service. Carry a service kit with you when you travel and any competent tech reg will be able to service them.

I have 3 Apeks and I LOVE them (but Im a little biased since Im doing my Apeks Technician right now lol).

While they are not exactly the same, I have heard that HOGs are comparable to Apeks from several divers. If Apeks isvout of budget, maybe look into HOG? I know their service kit is a lot cheaper!

I have 3 Apeks and I LOVE them (but Im a little biased since Im doing my Apeks Technician right now lol).

While they are not exactly the same, I have heard that HOGs are comparable to Apeks from several divers. If Apeks isvout of budget, maybe look into HOG? I know their service kit is a lot cheaper!

He just bought the Apeks:wink:

Spendy is putting it mildly. IMO that damned little knob is insanely expensive.

Yep, I picked up the parts (thank you Marcia RIP) last time I was in Thailand cost me around $80 for two sets. There was a guy in the UK making them a while ago for a good price but last time I looked prior to Thailand he seemed to have ceased production, shame.

I dive Apeks XTX 100 as they are sealed, tested to 200 m and you can breath them until you have 5 bar left. In greater depth they afford lower breathing work than comparable regs due to their balancing. In addition they don't freeflow by turning the venturi to minus. I would recommend you buy DIN bcs you can go to 300 bar in steel and greater safety as the seal is securely sealed and pressed against the tank, not like in the INT/yoke connection.

kind regards
Alexander

Kind regards
Alexander

---------- Post added November 19th, 2013 at 11:24 AM ----------

The DS4 is quite an offer ... i saw the recently for only 129 Euro. I assume they are ideal also for stage tanks as they have a swiffleling HP outlet. it's coming without 2nd stage.

Kind regards
Alexander

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom