Purchase Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mostlyirish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Other than my initial cetification dives in a quarry in northern Ohio (53f), I only dive warm water so far. Now that I'm retired I intend to do more diving. I don't forsee diving anywhere which requires more than my 3 mil wetsuit. That said I am seriously considering buying my own set of regs and stop the renting routine. I would like a decent breathing reg set but do not want to spend a fortune. In the Hot Deals section there is a Apeks Reg Closeouts (DS4 with 2 ATX40 seconds) listed. I am interested in opinions wether this is a reliable reg set. The price point seems pretty good. Are there better regs for that price out there?

It would be very difficult to find a more reliable regulator than Apeks.
The US4 ATX20 have the same performance and will also meet your needs (they just don't have the cold water features of the DS4 ATX40's).
The ATX 2nd stage is an earlier model to the current XTX but has the same internals.
......the fact that they are made in England might be a factor for you?

Over the next week or two there will probably be quite a few scuba deals going around.....Dive Right In Scuba for example has always had some very good prices for their Black Friday sales in the past.

You won't go far wrong buying Apeks - very good quality indeed (we use XTX 40s and rate then very highly).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Fishpie
- does the fact that it is manufactured in the UK mean potential issues with warranty or with finding LDS capable of doing routine service?

No..........just a silly remark based on your username.

Duh.... I was never accused of having a sense of humor or being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Great regs, very reliable great breathing regs, can be changed to ATX50s very easily if you wish at any time in the future. If the price is good go for it.

As others have said, Apeks are great regs. I have several and love them. You might also look at HOG regs too. A lot of guys love them. I just got several sets myself and can't wait to dive them.

On a side note, you might want to considered environmentally sealed regs. Both Apeks and HOG have them. Even though they are marketed as cold water regs there is an additional benefit to them. Because they are sealed, there is less of a chance of them failing due to poor cleaning techniques after each dive. Just a thought.

Bruce

In the Hot Deals section there is a Apeks Reg Closeouts (DS4 with 2 ATX40 seconds) listed. I am interested in opinions wether this is a reliable reg set. The price point seems pretty good.
Good regs.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 04:03 PM ----------

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 04:05 PM ----------

On a side note, you might want to considered environmentally sealed regs.
DS4 is environemntal sealed.

Back
Top Bottom