Punta Cana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmlloomer

New
Reaction score
Anyone recommend/not recommend?
Caves nearby or just reefs?

How far to the Silver ships/Bayahibe/Catalina Island?

It's been a few years, but there was not a lot to see at Punta Cana. Great beach, but there wasn't much fish life on the reef, and it just didn't look like a healthy reef at the time. If I remember correctly, I think we dove at about four sites off Punta Cana.
I only only snorkelled at Catalina Island, but it looked to be much better. Lots of fish, healthier coral. My mental note at te time was that if we ever go back to the Dominican Republic, that I would look seriously into staying in the Bayahibe area.

Reef is dead...next to no sea life....Had to go down to toward Catilina Isle and La Romania for any good diving.
The Folks behind us on the plane stated that they only had to pay an extra $100 to come home early.
I tell folks that if they are Given a free trip to Punta Cana ....Give IT Back!

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=17723&highlight=Punta

Punta Cana faces the Atlantic, so it is not Caribbean diving. It is a fair bit more challenging and you probably won't see as much. The reef is not dead, it just takes a constant battering from wave action. If you can, stay in Bayahibe on the south coast, close to La Romana. Easy diving, reasonable coral, no big fish but then they seem to be more popular on a plate than underwater!

Spent a week in Bayhibe in December. I was concerned with what I read about diving in the D.R....Was pleasantly surprised (Please note, I was not expecting much) with the diving in the Bayahibe area. Make a point to go to Catalina and Catalatina islands...they have by far the most critters and reef formations. We dove with an operation called Scuba Fun. Very nice and accomidating. Overall, if you think you will be going on world class dives, you will be disapointed. If you want to get wet and spend some time in warm, clear water...you will be fine.

Agree that diving in Punta Cana isn't good - but the beaches are spectacular. The trip to Bayahibe is well worth the effort - the diving is much better there. I went a couple of years ago when I was newly certified, so I don't recall all the details, but I *think* the trip was about an hour or so (possibly more) by bus to Bayahibe. We dove The Wall and The Aquarium - both quite lovely sites. There are several more in the area that are, from what I've heard, good for more advanced divers.

Now that I'm a more experienced diver and a DM, I wouldn't choose Punta Cana as a dive vacation...but if I were going with a bunch of non-divers, it *is* a very nice relaxing beach vacation...and you can get in some decent diving, if you're willing to head over to Bayahibe. So I'd definitely not turn it down! But it also wouldn't be on my list at ALL for a diving vacation...

Just returned from Puntacana and experienced exactly OPPOSITE what people are saying...

I did a quick trip report in the Caribbean section of Scubaboard, I still need to write the full (long winded) report..

Essentially I dove with Scuba fun (Bayahibe) and Puntacana Resort (local dive shop) in Puntacana.

Excellent diving in both locations.. Yes, the reefs are not as "healthy" on the Puntacana side, but if you stay to the south, there are only 2 ops providing trips, so the "diver" damage is much less, and there is plenty to see as far as fish, reefs, etc.

If you will definitely be diving Puntacana, go with Club Med (did not dive with them, but the DM from our resort recommended as well) or Puntacana Resort and Club.

PM and give me your e-mail, and I will fill you in on the details.. and send you a link to a photo album I uploaded for the people I dove with.

Back
Top Bottom