Pull dump removal/repair/replacement question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walklong

New
Reaction score
Any suggestions on the steps for re-connecting the pull-dump mechanisim in an oral inflator assembly? I've got a US Divers BC where the original hose rotted (probably too much chlorine exposure - it's the bc I use during class sessions). Anyway, the replacement hose I have is a little lnger than the original, so I'm "stretching" the cable with some stainless leader material and new stainless snaps. I'm just not sure about how to get the cable connected at both ends during reassembly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

walklong :D

Normally you leave the corrugated hose loose (no zip ties), contract it a little and fix the pull cable first. Then when the pull cable is fixed you position the hose and zip tie it at both ends.

Why not get rid of the pull dump completely, one less thing to fail! Put in a straight thru elbow...

FatRob:
Why not get rid of the pull dump completely, one less thing to fail! Put in a straight thru elbow...
You will still need to put in some kind of cable to restrict how much you can extend the hose.
Otherwise the hose will have a tendency to grow and there is also a risk of snagging it on something and having it pull loose.

On most assemblies, the cable goes through a hole in the shoulder end and is secured back on itself with a compression fitting on the cable. It is more or less permanent unless you cut the cable.

A similar loop is formed in the other end of the cable once the proper lenght is determined. The cable is then run through the corrogated hose and the end of the corrogated hose is pulled back enough to allow the end of the cable to be secured to the power inflator with a pin running from holes in each side of the inflator through the loop.

After this is secured, the corrogated hose is fitted over the inflator and once the inflator properly oriented in the direction you want it to face, it's secured with a pair of zip ties.

You could extend this with a fishing leader but it, or at least the ends of the leader, are not as strong as the rest of the cable itself. You should be able to find SS cable and the swaged fittings at the local hardware store and then replace your old cable with a longer one piece replacement.

The other issue with using a leader to extend the cable is that the difference between too short, just right and too long spans a range of about 1". If it's too short the corrogated hose is compressed and unintentional air loss will occur. If it is too short, the hose gets stretched more than is needed and dumping air will be harder than is desireable - plus hose life will suffer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom