Pulau Weh - worth a stopover ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not travel all the way from Europe or US just to hit Pulau Weh. But if you are in the area with a little extra time (a week) in KL, hopping across to PW could be an interesting and relatively budget friendly option. Although as everyone has said, the diving should not be compared with some of the “big” dive destinations further east in Indonesia.

In my view PW diving is generally more interesting and varied compared to most of the diving locations nearby, as in Peninsular Malaysia and land based in Thailand. If you go, I second the suggestion about selecting a center with a larger boat, as we did miss some dives when our boat could not get out through the swell (Dec/Jan).

Given travel cost/time Togians, Wakatobi and Alor might be better saved for when you have a little more time.

If you do want to aim for a better-diving side trip from KL, Sipadan is normally easy and affordable to get to via Tawau. The accommodation and diving is not cheap but can be very good. For a different experience you could try to stay on the old oil rig (Sea Venture) off Mabul. Note that it at times can be frustrating with the lack of permits to dive Sipadan itself, although the muck dives in the area, including under the rigg, are not too bad. Of course more times in PH can always be put to good use.

Just my 3 cent’s worth.

I was meant to revisit Pulau Weh in Jul 2020 but the wuhan virus put a stop to it. The island does has one thing that really appeals to me ie. lack of development especially on "tourist resorts".
From what I could find on line: it is mainly for backpackers.

Jul 2024 is my target.

Jul 2024 is my target.
Hope you'll be able to make the trip! Weh has a very special place in my heart (I dare say I prefer it over many more famous places like Sipadan). The thing with Weh is it can be a bit hit or miss at times, and not all dive sites are magical. I'd recommend focusing on Bate Tokong, Arus Balee, and Canyon. 2nd choices: Seulako East & West (Drift & Cave), Limbo. I didn't dive Pantee P, Shark Plateau, Meuroron, and Batee Gla often enough to say definitively, but they seemed very nice too. I'd skip Gapang Housereef, Rubiah Sea Garden, West Rubiah, Rubiah jetty, volcano & Sophie wreck bc they aren't very good anymore. But most dive sites there have the potential to be very, very magical, you just need a bit of luck. The good thing is both diving and accom are cheap, so you can easily stay longer. If you want a Western dive shop, Lumba Lumba in Gapang is the only choice (don't dive with Monster and Bubble Addict), but the __cpLocation is a bit more isolated, essentially 3 places to eat during the day and 1 at night (the beach is much nicer though). Over in Iboih you have more options for locally owned dive shops (now 4 I think?). Guides are pretty much the same everywhere as most of them freelance for all the shops. Iboih is less quiet and the beach isn't nice, but there are many more (and better) food options.

Hope you'll be able to make the trip! Weh has a very special place in my heart (I dare say I prefer it over many more famous places like Sipadan). The thing with Weh is it can be a bit hit or miss at times, and not all dive sites are magical. I'd recommend focusing on Bate Tokong, Arus Balee, and Canyon. 2nd choices: Seulako East & West (Drift & Cave), Limbo. I didn't dive Pantee P, Shark Plateau, Meuroron, and Batee Gla often enough to say definitively, but they seemed very nice too. I'd skip Gapang Housereef, Rubiah Sea Garden, West Rubiah, Rubiah jetty, volcano & Sophie wreck bc they aren't very good anymore. But most dive sites there have the potential to be very, very magical, you just need a bit of luck. The good thing is both diving and accom are cheap, so you can easily stay longer. If you want a Western dive shop, Lumba Lumba in Gapang is the only choice (don't dive with Monster and Bubble Addict), but the __cpLocation is a bit more isolated, essentially 3 places to eat during the day and 1 at night (the beach is much nicer though). Over in Iboih you have more options for locally owned dive shops (now 4 I think?). Guides are pretty much the same everywhere as most of them freelance for all the shops. Iboih is less quiet and the beach isn't nice, but there are many more (and better) food options.
I am looking at the flights by AA. The site is down at the moment!!!!

HKG/KUL/BTJ round trip is just under US$200.00(hand carry only).

BTW, what is wrong with Monster? It was the operator that I was going to use in 2020.

Matt has his opinion...
But there are good people there just trying to make a living...so ye... up to you.
That being said the diving is no where close to any of those places you have mentioned!!
If RA is a 10 then I'd say Bali is about a solid 7.5 but P Weh is a 5!
It does have some interesting dives and there is a bit of muck....and the island is pretty...but....if you had the options of other places like Alor...then that's where I would go without hesitating.
Plus it's not that easy to get to...a flight or two from KUL and then busses and)or ferries. And if the connection times don't work, can take a day or two to reach and exit.

I am looking at the flights by AA. The site is down at the moment!!!!

HKG/KUL/BTJ round trip is just under US$200.00(hand carry only).

BTW, what is wrong with Monster? It was the operator that I was going to use in 2020.
I miss the days when SGN-KUL-BTJ round trip was more or less $100! I used to finish work on Friday, hop on the night flight to KUL and overnight there before catching the morning flight to BTJ, then catch the mid-day ferry, getting to Iboih in time for the night dive on Sat.

Monster and Bubble Addict are barely operating now. They were hit hard during COVID. The owners don't have the $$$ to invest in the dive shops anymore. Their boats are tiny and engines often break, so they don't really go to sites further than the Rubiah area (so not Canyon, Pante P, etc). When I left Weh last year, each dive shop consisted of a local manager who didn't really dive, at least not anymore, and barely any local dive pros and captains freelancing with them. Both dive shops are mere shells of their former selves. Meanwhile, Lumba Lumba and the 4 local shops in Iboih (or at least 3 of them, I didn't know Scubaholic as well as Scuba Weh, Iboih Dive Center, and Rubiah Tirta) seem to be doing very well.

Plus it's not that easy to get to...a flight or two from KUL and then busses and)or ferries. And if the connection times don't work, can take a day or two to reach and exit.
LOL.
Only one flight is necessary from KUL. PERIOD.
Have you done Cocos Island in Costa Rica? 36hrs each way on a boat.
You had never been to Raja Ampat!!!
Have you ever travelled to Koh Lipe from Phuket?
Took me nearly 12hrs from Koh Chang to Bangkok Ekkamai Station.

I miss the days when SGN-KUL-BTJ round trip was more or less $100! I used to finish work on Friday, hop on the night flight to KUL and overnight there before catching the morning flight to BTJ, then catch the mid-day ferry, getting to Iboih in time for the night dive on Sat.

Monster and Bubble Addict are barely operating now. They were hit hard during COVID. The owners don't have the $$$ to invest in the dive shops anymore. Their boats are tiny and engines often break, so they don't really go to sites further than the Rubiah area (so not Canyon, Pante P, etc). When I left Weh last year, each dive shop consisted of a local manager who didn't really dive, at least not anymore, and barely any local dive pros and captains freelancing with them. Both dive shops are mere shells of their former selves. Meanwhile, Lumba Lumba and the 4 local shops in Iboih (or at least 3 of them, I didn't know Scubaholic as well as Scuba Weh, Iboih Dive Center, and Rubiah Tirta) seem to be doing very well.
"Wuhan Virus" has not only decimated human population but also businesses!!!
Thank you for the warning on the dive operators in Pulau Weh.
I also like to see how Banda Ache recovered from the Tsunami but not sure if I can afford the time this yr!!!
Cheers.

I have dived with Pulau Weh Resort, they are strategically located at the few popular dive sites like Batee Tokong and Shark Plateau. Canyon and Pantai Peunatung is further away about 25 mins boat ride from the resort.
I have to agree with @AlMitch the diving is not fantastic, one of the reasons why we dive there is because we have not been to Sumatra Island to dive after living in Jakarta for almost 5 years.
We some some sharks and schooling jackfishes and barracudas but do not expect exceptional diving like in Raja Ampat or Alor.

Banda Aceh is not as horrible or terrifying as some perceive. As the locals knows that Pulau Weh is mainly for tourism they have the understanding as if you do not disturb or disrespect the locals, they will do the same to you. I did not have to wear a headscarf or behave in a different manner during the journey from airport to the harbour to board the ferry to Pulau Weh. Beer was served to guests at the resort too.

One thing to note is that, Friday prayers is very important to the locals and it is compulsory to not have any water or diving (recreational) activities starting from Thursday evening until Friday prayers which usually ends around 1400 (local time). During this down time we went to the 0 km monument which is located to the West of the island after that we went to the town for some souvenir shopping. Diving resumed after we returned to the resort. If you have time between flights and on the mainland, do give the Tsunami Museum a visit. We gained some good knowledge and history of the unfortunate incident.

In my opinion, I think diving in Pulau Weh is slightly better than diving in the Gilis if you are referring to Gili Air, Gili Meno and Gili Trawangan.

Hope the information helps!

I am afraid it is not going to happen this yr.
Not able to dive on Friday is NO big deal, day for a well earned rest.
Tourist should know/respect the local culture/custom before setting their ft in the country. And just remember no one has invited them in the first place.
It is really ridiculous to see female tourist only wearing bikini top travelling on a songthaew, loaded with local women(Muslim), in southern Thailand eg. Ao Nang or Krabi!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom