Puget vs Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Scherman

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to plan a dive trip for this winter/spring and would like some local opinion. Is the diving off Vancouver appreciably better than Puget Sound? Either one is a fair drive for me from western Montana. Is boat diving alot better in either area? Where's the best spots on the Sound for Octopi, fish and anemones? Thanks for any help!

Can't speak at all about Puget Sound, but I would go to Vancouver Island rather than Vancouver. Vancouver is at the mouth of one ginormous river with a huge delta - you need to drive a bit to get away from the mouth of the Fraser River which makes local diving not so great. More to choose from on the Island.

Can't speak about local boats or operators yet as I have not been diving in cold for a number of years.

i just did the puget sound and it was awesome, did sunrise, hood canal, redondo, sund rock and some others, i had a great guide, scubak, she is awesome and a great person, i got a lot of pictures of wolf eels and octos as well, a large diversity of life there, great great place to dive!!!!!!!!:wink:

I don't know about Vancouver, but you can't dive anywhere I've been in the sound without seeing plenty of anemones! We have some excellent shore dives, and I've been out on two charters with the Bandito folks and have had a great time both times. They go to some sites where the profusion of sea life is amazing.

And if you are in a position to drive around a little bit, you can, for example, go up to Whidbey Island and dive Keystone or pick up a charter in Anacortes to go up into the San Juan Islands . . . talk to NW Grateful Diver about that!

PNW diving-

This is hard being from Washington, but I would head north to Vancouver Island. Depending on where you go you can get 100 foot vis, and more sea life than you can shake a stick at, not to mention my silver bullet, shipwrecks!

There is a lot of really good shore diving around the Puget Sound and Hoods Canal which is a good bonus, there are plenty of good charter operations you can catch a ride on, but if I was driving all that way I would head to the great white north.

Feel free if you want to PM me and get some more detailed information, if it works with your schedule I am leading some dives to Vancouver Island in January and we have a few spots open.

Good luck with your adventure,

Jumbo

If you're coming all the way from Montana, I would also opt for Vancouver Island.

If you have the option, look into going someplace like Barkley Sound (Rendezvous Lodge) or Quadra Island (Abyssal Charters) ... they'll provide lodging, meals, and awesome diving in a complete package.

http://www.rendezvousdiveventures.com/introeng.htm
http://www.abyssal.com/

Further south on the island, Nanaimo and Victoria also offer some excellent diving. You could contact the Buccaneer Lodge (Nanaimo) or Ogden Point Dive Center (Victoria) for more info.

http://www.divingbc.com/dive_package.htm
http://www.divevictoria.com/

Any of these places can help you set up an awesome dive vacation ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can second Bob's advise about Abyssal dive charter. I was there is Feb with a group and had a great time. If you want to read about it, I wrote a trip report about it: Quadra 2005 and here are a few photos: Quadra Photo Gallery

I've also done some really nice diving in Nanaimo and Victoria. Nanaimo has 3 wrecks you can dive, wolf eels, and even seals. Nanaimo trip report and Nanaimo photo gallery Just outside of Victoria is an area called Race Rocks with some outstanding dive sites. Charter boats can take you there.

Hi George,

Check out flying into Comox. That would make both Barkley Sound (www.rendezvousdiving.com) and Abyssal www.abyssal.com easier to reach. I am not sure who is closed for the winter but Rendezvous is open all year.

Back
Top Bottom