Puget Sound in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill, a lot depends on when in July you are here. Two of the weekends (12th and 26th) have horrendous tidal exchanges with the nadir at midday; this makes all shore diving here less pleasant. The other two weekends have really nice exchanges and would be suitable for many sites.

Easy entries and lack of surf are almost never issues here. Many of our shore diving sites involve walking into still water. In fact, my friends in SoCal call that a "Seattle entry"!

Our visibility is rarely less than 10 feet. Yes, we do have horrible algae blooms that can reduce the viz to a couple of feet, but they are unusual and more typical in the Spring, like now through May. Visibility here is cyclic, with blooms alternating with periods of fairly good visibility, and it is impossible to forecast in advance where in the cycle any particular date will fall.

If you guys are up here when I am not working, I would be happy to show you some of our easy shore diving. It's not as colorful, and doesn't have the same dramatic structure as Lobos, but it's easier!

I have never dove with Lynn before, but I know her to be a very very advanced diver and well respected in the Puget Sound community (I read these forums and have asked her advice in the past and she has great blogs!). If there's an easy entry known, she will know where it is! If there's a GPO, she will lead you to it! Thanks for extending your offer Lynn to our visitors and I know it'll be the talk of Lobos when they return!!

TSandM and danclem (and anyone else who may be interested):

Thanks to everyone that responded for your comments and offers to dive with us! That is much appreciated.

We will be in the area July 3 - 13. We are currently thinking of diving one or two of the days Mon 7/7 thru Wed 7/9, but possibly we could change to the previous weekend. Anyone available then (mid-week) to show us the ropes? We are novice (not advanced, not beginner) divers and we need 10 ft viz. and calm waters. We're looking to see GPO's, whales, and large, calm sharks :D LOL

We'll be staying at a friend's house in Clyde Hill (across the 520 bridge from Seattle).

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

I'll second Edmonds Underwater Park. Here is a video I did there and you can find even more on other divers YouTube channels. I will also second the dive charters in the area. Although I have never dived any of them all of my friends that have can't say enough good about them. Lynne can put you in touch with them as well or I can give you the links for them.

[video=youtube;DtMTVSZRxlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMTVSZRxlk[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom