Puget Sound - Favorite Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All, seems like I keep doing a few of the same dive sites over and over again. Alki coves, pipeline, Edmonds UW Park and Oil Dock. I'm wondering if you guys can list your top few Puget Sound dive sites in this format:

# Site Name - distance from Seattle (in time or miles)

Brief Description of why it rocks

Well, I have the same problem, but I can add one site to your list . . . Keystone Jetty on Whidbey Island. Time from Seattle is approximately one hour from boarding the Mukilteo ferry (however long it takes you to get there). This site has good parking (it costs), restrooms and a cold water shower. Shore entry is easy. Sea life absolutely abounds.

The site is current sensitive and apparently can be quite dicey if you are there at the wrong time. It is also closely adjacent to the ferry, which can be a problem if you get blown around the end of the jetty and to the north.

But if you dive at the right time, it's a really wonderful dive site.

You might want to invest in the book, Northwest Shore Dives, and also look at shorediving.com for other shore dive ideas.

For shore dives ...

Day Island Wall ... only downside is that it's current-sensitive and the access is in a residential neighborhood with limited parking and dive site access. Advanced divers only.

Sunrise ... as long as you time it right and don't mind that long uphill walk at the end of the dive. Not a site for new divers, though.

Titlow ... an excellent dive site for new divers, but again it's current sensitive, so you have to time it right. The pilings are a great place to take the newer diver. For the more experienced divers, the little ledges south of the pilings are a nice place to find wolfies and octos.

Harper Ferry Pier ... my favorite place to take new divers. Little current, shallow, and playing in the pilings is just plain fun. Peeking through the ribs on the old boat is like looking into an aquarium.

Langley Tire Reef ... no current, lots-o-fish. This can be a "hit or miss" site, depending on vis. Another great choice for the newer diver.

These are a few of my local favorites ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sund Rock in the Hood Canal. I have no idea how long a drive it is from Seattle, but it is about 3 1/2 hours from my house in Salem, OR and definitely worth the drive.

1- Sekiu jettty. Best shore dive in the North West, Loads of fish, good visibility, good chance of swimming with marine mammals, multiple octo’s, plenty of harvesting potential, easy and convenient lodging. Only possible downside is that its pretty shallow, max depth is about 40 feet.

2.5 hours from Seattle, head towards Neah Bay on hwy 101

2- Deception Pass. great drift dive, huge life, unique topography, chance of finding cool stuff under the bridge. Max depth about 130 fsw. If you go, pay attention to the tide and if you can go with someone who has been there before.

1.5 hours from Seattle, West on Hwy 20, follow big signs, when you drive over a huge bridge the next state park on your right is your destination, ask a park ranger if you can drive down close to the water. If you going there in winter time call ahead so they can unlock a gate.

3-Mukiliteo. good place to get deep in a hurry, great training site, usually a good number of fish, crab, shrimp, great night dive.

.25 hours from Seattle, whidby Island ferry exit,

4- drive north to Vancouver and vicinity. Purteou cove, woodlands, horseshoe bay, customs dock,

2.5 hours from Seattle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom