Puget sound diving conditions forecasts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtabas

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving (recently completed open water, drysuit, and nitrox cert) and like to "do my homework" before most outdoor adventures. I'm looking for reliable sources for ocean currents, tides, and wave heights around the Puget sound. Magic Seaweed only has forecasts for two locations in the sound and Edmonds Underwater Park isn't one of them. Ocean currents have been even harder to find online. Does anyone have recommendations on which websites to use to check forecasts for diving conditions? P.S. what other factors do you consider when planning a dive? TIA

Honestly, I just google it and take whatever comes up. There are only a few actual measured tide stations, and everything is inferred from those. NOAA produces the base data and the interpretations and other sites publish it. Some places will also have current predictions, but usually you just have to infer current from tide.

Tide Predictions - NOAA Tides & Currents is the NOAA tide site for Edmonds

Some parts of this may be useful:

People like Fritz Merkel (@fmerkel) and Eric Askilsrud (on FB, not SB AFAIK) are the two top people knowledgeable for making adjustments from measurement stations. If they don't know, then likely no other divers do.

You may want to check out pnwdiving.com, too. There are visibility reports from popular sites around the Northwest (so you have an idea whether it is worth diving or not since visibility is sometimes our limiting factor), and recommendations for which days are best to dive current sensitive sites. The creator and maintainer of this site is Eric Askilsrud, mentioned by @wetb4igetinthewater above.

Be careful assuming currents follow tides. In respectable parts of the world, the slowest (or no) current happens right at low tide or at high tide. The fastest is halfway between low and high or high and low.

However, with our narrow channels we can end up getting high current at odd times. Use a current guide for high-current sites. My experience with these is that you can be "close" to the actual prediction station and still get reasonable accurate timing for low current.

Also in my experience, it's most unpredictable up in the San Juans.

I've used Tidelog for the past 25 years......and actually just ordered my 2023 log today.

I'm new to diving (recently completed open water, drysuit, and nitrox cert) and like to "do my homework" before most outdoor adventures. I'm looking for reliable sources for ocean currents, tides, and wave heights around the Puget sound. Magic Seaweed only has forecasts for two locations in the sound and Edmonds Underwater Park isn't one of them. Ocean currents have been even harder to find online. Does anyone have recommendations on which websites to use to check forecasts for diving conditions? P.S. what other factors do you consider when planning a dive? TIA
Wave heights are from the marine forecast, if you know the direction relative to direction the dive site faces you can sometimes make a go-no go decision at home. Sometimes you just have to show up and look. As a general rule 15+ knots into the dive site is starting to get dubious. 20+ knots is probably better to stay home or find a site facing the other direction

Current stations are here.
You need to find the closest relevant one, some sites have more than one that is good enough

Back
Top Bottom