Puget Sound Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Duddridge

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'll be in the Seattle area from August 25-30, and I was thinking of doing a charter in the Sound. I've found websites for two different charters - Bandito Charters and Porthole Charters.

Have any of you had any experience with either of these charter companies? Would you recommend one over the other?

During the week I am there Porthole Charters is only offering trips to Neah Bay as opposed to Puget Sound. They charge an extra 50% for this trip ($150 for three tanks versus $100 for Puget Sound). Is there anything special about Neah Bay that Puget Sound can't offer?

Thanks for any info/advice you can offer.

Mark

I only been diving with Bandito. They do an excellent job! Neah Bay is supposed to have great diving. I can't answer to that as I haven't been there.

Have a great time!

Neah Bay is very special ... it's also a looong drive from the Seattle area ... about 200 miles, plus a ferry ride.

If you have the time, I'd highly recommend it. If you don't, stick with Puget Sound.

The major difference is in the amount, type, and size of life you'll see. Neah Bay is where the water enters Puget Sound from the Pacific Ocean. It's basically Puget Sound on steroids in terms of the prolific amount of sea critters you'll see.

Many of us try to make it out there at least once or twice while the charters are running out there (during summer months, usually). But you can figure on the necessity to head over the evening before, and anticipate a LONG drive home after the dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the info! Provided Porthole is still going to run to Neah Bay the week in question, I think I'll give that a shot. Puget Sound on steroids sounds like fun!

I was just out there over the weekend and a mink whale came within 100 yards from us as we exited our first dive. Lots of urchins, sponges and other cool invertebrates to see plus large schools of rockfish, loads of greenlings, etc. The kelp beds are completely grown up now and make for some great dives.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom