Puerto Vallarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlkk

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to PV on Wednesday. Have been doing some research, and am wondering which site is the best to go to? Marietas islands, Chimo, or La Corbetena? I am a novice diver.

As well, any dive operators I should avoid?

Thank you for your help!

I'm going back for 5 weeks on April 2nd. I haven't been diving there yet but I'm working on a TV project with the Mexican government and will be filming and diving with Vallartech, taking a Nitrox course with them, Pacific Scuba and Twin Dolphins. I have a home there but I will be diving for the first time in 5 years with these folks. I spend a lot of time fishing there. One of the reasons I'm getting back into it is because of this project but a lot of people I know in PV who dive and these are the top 3 shops. As far as locations, I know Los Arcos can get pretty crowded but depending on your experience Corbetena is supposed to be terrific. I'll be diving there but you can ask Giovanni from Twin Dophins about the big Mantas and where to find them.

jlkk:
Hi all,

I am going to PV on Wednesday. Have been doing some research, and am wondering which site is the best to go to? Marietas islands, Chimo, or La Corbetena? I am a novice diver.

Thank you for your help!
Sounds like you only have one day to dive. If so, for a novice diver, I would suggest Marietas with Pacific Scuba. La Corbetena can be a more advanced dive. Just MHO.

jlkk:
Hi all,

Thank you for your help!

We just returned on 3/12. I am not sure if you have gone or not. We dove with Pacific Scuba. Grat outfit, recommend highly. The good thing about Pacific Scuba is that their boats are smaller and they go to where the viz or critters are better, not to a prescribed dive site, whether or not there are problems with the site.

Beware, the viz is not good and the water can be cold. The surface temp was about 73F while at 40FSW on one dive and 60fsw on the second dive we hit a cold thermocline that was about 64F or colder.

It wasn't great diving, but it was good to blow some bubbles again. We spoke with Eldie the shop manager and told him we hadn't beenin the water for a year and a half and needed to get reaquainted and comfortable. No problems. We had a nice little dive site and great dive masters.

Recommend Pacific Scuba. Heard hot and cold about Chico's, and Vallarata Adventures. I am happy with our chocie. jimcox

pwraudio1:
Vallarata Adventures are a good group also.... I went out with them in Jan....

We also dove with Pacific Scuba and would highly recommend them. Small fast boat, a lot of personal attention, especially if you are a novice.

I dove with Karla from Boca Divers last week and had a great time. They're in Boca de Tamatlan-a ways out of town, but were really close to Los Arcos. Definately NOT a cattle boat (we saw plenty of those at Los Arcos). Water was cool though, I'd bring a 5mm suit and a hood.

Back
Top Bottom