Puerto Vallarta Trip Report - Long

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakevkon:
It sounds like I should dive with Pacific Scuba

ThanksKevin
Kevin,
This report is over a year old, but another diver I know and have dived with and respect on this board just got back in July and said Pacific Scuba was still great.
Have fun!!

scubakevkon:
It sounds like I should dive with Pacific Scuba
Yes you should, Kevin. My wife and I were there over the Fourth of July week and did four days of diving with Pacific Scuba based on Rick's report. We definitely had a good time on the dives and the boat crew were all quite friendly and fun. My wife and I enjoyed the Marietas islands the most... the swim-throughs were pretty nifty.

Jimmie

i would put my votes in for chimo & el morro. every dive i've done there, there are always loads of mantas & fish... very interesting dives although you may want to pack something to sit on... it's quite a long boat trip... about an hour or a little more.

very true about chico's & co... i would NOT use them... i did... never again!

Anyone ever used Ocean Quest before? They have a Los Arcos trip that leaves at 10am which is what I need since my cruise ship doesn't get into port until 9am. Most other places leave at 9 and a few at 9:30.

Thanks.
Mantaklaus:
Dear Lerry
For your information Ocean Quest Dive Center is a Padi Dive Shop locted
in Olas Altas, Lazaro Cardenas st. # 230 down town Puerto Vallarta and
they co-own five 24 ft dive boats.Dive Sites they visit Los Arcos, Majahuitas, Marietas, El Morro, Chimo, Corbetena, Tehuamixtle, Los Anegados and
Mismaloya.
Phone # 523222234103 http://www.oceanquestmexico.com

Hi Lerry-
You seem to be very knowledgeable of the PV area. We're staying near Bucerias, from Feb. 20-March 8th. I have gathered this is not the best time of year for diving. What thickness wet suit would you recommend? What are the best spots in Northern Banderas Bay for diving/spearfishing? I would like to spearfish and freedive at the same time. Any local info would be HUGELY appreciated. Thanks!

lerry:
Hi! Divers
I lived 5 years in Puerto Vallarta and as Divemaster, did some 100’s of dives all over the sites in-and-out the Bay. What Rick wrote is true but there is also some excellent diving during the winter, only that the conditions are more radical and you may get lower conditions like colder, rougher Ocean and less visibility. On the other hand there are more Giant Mantas, see the Humpback Whales and more nudabranchs and invertebrates. Diving during full moon period is the riskier time (4 days before to after). The quality difference between the dive operators may change with the quantity of people they take out. One takes down the certified and beginners together. That deprives the certified from going deeper and more challenging areas. You are also part of a partying group that has no regards for the divers. It’s an extra service to fill the boat (Vallarta Adventure). The other big operator (Chicos) is more like fast food. Carry as many as possible and disregard diving rules and safety procedures. Ex. Maintenance of the equipment, quality of air, up to 10 divers to dive master. It has lost its PADI membership. Although it still advertise its 5 Star IDC. Those two also give resort courses with personnel that are not even certified divers.
Two operators (Pacific Scuba and Twin Dolphins) are doing their best to cater to divers the way it should be: small groups, active-renewed certified Divemasters, equipment control, schedule adapted, to the divers experience and ability. Not big on advertising or volume of people. Relies more on word-of-mouth and Internet referrals.
Two more are Hotel Resorts (Ocean Quest and (not dive shops) and are limited to what they will offer you as dive sites or how they will shorten the dives and service to lower the price. You may have to find to go a long way to where you will be boarding your boat.(They don´t own a boat)
If you are a real diver just be careful on how you will pick your dive operator. You should know what to ask and know the right answers. The list of the current operators is on PADI’s web site.
A good diver is always a good diver, where ever he goes and whatever the conditions. Yes, there is the world to explore with warm and 60’ visibility. I also know that any of these locations have their bad periods, bad visibility, and bad operators. Diving also includes all sort of conditions: under the ice diving, mine shaft, quarries, lakes,.…..
If the Caribbean is your standard, you are shorting yourself out of millions of discoveries and experiences.
Lerry

I dove with Vallarta-Adventures and had a pretty good experience; however, I'd like to try Pacific Scuba next time.

Do they offer any packages or discounts for booking multiple dive days? They seem a little more pricey than Vallarta-Adventures who offer discounts for multiple-day diving and advanced purchases.

Where is Pacific SCUBA's pick-up point? I thought I read somewhere that the leave from Marina Vallarta, which is where I stay.

On some of the dives with Vallarta-Adventures, I had to go the the cruise boat terminal, which is sort of a hassle and VERY touristy.

I've also heard good things about Chico's dive shop, but their departure point is downtown PV...not too far, but not convenient either.

robstrash:
Anyone ever used Ocean Quest before? They have a Los Arcos trip that leaves at 10am which is what I need since my cruise ship doesn't get into port until 9am. Most other places leave at 9 and a few at 9:30.

Thanks.
I would recommend contacting Pacific scuba. They can likely arrange to fit your schedule. They are very flexible and wonderful to work with. One day they took us diving and allowed the rest of the family to come snorkel. We spend an hour or more watching whales (ok'ed by us) and had a marvelous time. Can't recommend them highly enough.

1st day of diving, met them at the marina and the Taxi cab took off with all of our gear in the trunk. They were calm and helpful... got on the phone... taxi was back in less than 20 minutes. IN the meantime (we were doing check out dives at the time), they had us wearing towels over our heads and using compasses to practice blind navigation. Just totally relaxed and cool with everything. Awesome group!

AmyJ:
1st day of diving, met them at the marina...

Thanks for the info, AmyJ. I sent Pacific Scuba an email and am waiting to hear back. It sounds like they pick you up at the Marina, which will be VERY convenient for me.

As for diving in PV, I've had some interesting experiences. I can't say it's the best diving I've done, yet I've done some of my best dives there - Does that make any sense? Overall vis was just OK and some of the dives were borderline boring; however, I ended up seeing several huge manta rays, sea horses, tons of eels, and some other great marine life.

Back
Top Bottom