Puerto Vallarta early Nov

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shortypots:
Yeah, we have our own masks, snorkels, fins and boots, but not computers. Not sure if we could buy the rest of our gear (regs, bcd's, gauges) by then though.

Appreciate the info.
Good question - there's two schools of thought on this. If you have your own gear you're never dependent on rental gear. I've seen some really bad rental gear - BC's that were ripped, shredded wetsuits, that sort of stuff. A lot of smaller shops don't provide computers. Each rental op in a remote area has their own standard of the quality of their rental gear, and there's no guarantee as to how long ago the rental equipment has been serviced. If somebody reports back from some forum (like Scubaboard) that a particular op has decent gear, that's a good thing, but otherwise I would bring my own.

The second school of thought is that you haven't experienced enough dives to know what to purchase. So shelling out several thousand dollars for gear that you won't like is a really bad thing.

I like to advise new divers to rent from your local dive shop for the first dozen or more dives before you purchase - trying different types of gear. What's more, you can bring their rental gear with you on your dive vacation. That way you have a pretty good idea as to the quality and servicing of your gear. If you were certified with a certain computer and you know how it works, then rent that model from your local dive shop and bring it with you.

Jerry

Shortypots:
Yeah, we have our own masks, snorkels, fins and boots, but not computers. Not sure if we could buy the rest of our gear (regs, bcd's, gauges) by then though.

Appreciate the info.

Hey Michelle,

I would reccomend getting at least your own BC and Regulators. Thats what we went ahead and did before heading out to our first Ocean Dive in Hawaii last week and we were glad we did. Had an awesome time, we both went with Zeagle back inflate BCs from www.scubatoys.com another screamin deal you might look at is the Xtramelle on sale right now for $199 at Leisurepro.com after alot of research we almost went with this one for Heather since we did'nt know exactly how much we wanted to invest.

Lucky for us, we are both now completely HOOKED and already planned 2 more Dive Trips in the Carribean and back to Hawaii!!

Good luck!!

G&H

Back
Top Bottom