Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolsarinah

Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone heard of Rincon in Puerto Rico? We have been asked to join a house share. If we do this it will be the only diving we do in 2010 so I want to make sure it is worth it. We like walls (loved Saba last year).

Thanks

Was in Rincon back in May of this year, dove with Taino Divers out to Desecheo Island. If you are mobile, you might also look into going down to La Parguera for a day or two. We dove the wall with West Divers, and it was awesome! Depending on time of year, seas offshore might be a challenge, especially in the late Fall and Winter, at least that's what I've heard, which is why Rincon is such a haven for surfers at that time.

How far would West divers be from Rincon? Also, can I dive Nitrox?

La Parguera was about a two or so hour drive. And Nitrox was available, if memory serves me right, from both shops we dove with.

I was there Oct.23-Oct.26, the ride out to the island was not bad in the morning but coming back is quite rough. Great diving. I'll go back again and again and again.

I have vacationed twice in the last two years in Rincon. I really enjoyed the diving with both Taino Divers on Desecheo Island and West Divers in Paguera diving the Paguera Wall. Both shops are very professional.

There is a cornucopia of diving in PR. One that comes to mind is the guided cavern diving in Isabella, which is just east of Aquadilla. And it's a shore dive!! I didn't get to do it last time but I will put it at the top of my list next time I'm down there.

Another is off Steps Beach in Rincon. In shallow water right off the beach are some of the largest elkhorn coral I have ever seen. According to literature I read it is some of the finest in the Caribbean.

One place you must try is The Spot , a restaurant overlooking the water just down the street from Taino Divers. The food there was incredibly good. Four of our party of twelve had the seared tuna with wasabi and seaweed salad and we all agreed it was the best we had ever eaten.

The Shipwreck located right next to Taino divers also served very good food, as did Tamboo on Punta.

I hope you enjoy your stay in PR as much as we did.

I would return to Rincon. Good diving with Taino, good people too. Desecheo was a good dive although not a wall. Our one trip southwest to La Parguera area was a washout due to weather, so we never got to dive the wall there.
Weather can be a problem during the winter months it seems, as both our trips to La Parguera and Fajardo during Jan were washouts, while our trips to Rincon and Culebra during July were calm, hot and great dive weather. Could have been the luck of the draw too.

Desecheo with Taino Divers is great. They will choose the divesite based on the group's experiece. If experienced, Yellow Reef is the place to go, on the north of Desecheo.

Not sure West Divers is still operating, I have heard some rumors lately. If not, check out Island Divers in Guánica, a bit further east. They'll take you to the same wall and is a much shorter boat wall. Their new dive boat is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom