Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, GypsyJim! Your comment is consistent with all the reviews I've read about Copamarina and its diving operation.

We will be visiting in July for a week, staying at the Rio Mar on the east side of the island. We'll have a car, and we're looking forward to some great diving. Any recommendations for the east side?

There are Sea Ventures ops in both Fajardo and Humacao, and there are operators that run to Vieques or Culebra from Fajardo. There was an op on Culebra several years ago, and I'm sure there are ops on Vieques too, although I have yet to try the bigger island. The ferries over are quick and not overpriced. Culebra is not dived a lot, which I enjoyed.
I never did find anyone in the Sea Ventures shop in Fajardo, so I did all my predive contacts over the phones. If you can find the time, it's worth the drive west to Rincon to dive Desechio Island with Taino Divers, or from what I read the southwest and the wall. I have yet to dive this wall, as I said in the posts above; the op didn't feel the weather was good enough. I only allowed one day to dive the southwest on this last trip, so couldn't wait till the weather turned.
Maybe I'll get back, as we enjoy PR. So far my opinion of diving in PR is that it's OK, but I'm used to Bonaire, Turks, Belize, ect, and it is not on that level, while it is easier and less expensive to get to PR.

Last edited:
Luis, gypsyjim, DivingPanda and Henrik,

Thanks for the great advice, wisdom and patience. I might have stumbled onto a thread where the participants are gracious to each other. I too hope to dive the south and west coast but later in mid-July. I know I am risking hurricane season but when there isn't a hurricane, what are the conditions like?

I especially appreciate all your help, Luis, from hotels to dive areas. Are 2 days in Parguera and 2 days in Rincon with Taino Divers enough time to get sufficient impression of the sites?

I did look into the Copamarina but from reading reviews on traveladvisor.com, consistent complaints came from divers who spent a lot of money for their special occasion and ended up not diving because the dive operation wouldn't go out for various reasons. Sounds like West Divers are much more reliable? Can one of you recommend a nice hotel with air conditioned rooms on the water in La Paguera that is one or two notch below the 5 * Copamarina? Don't like their isolated location. The reason we're in Puerto Rico instead of Cozumel or Grand Cayman is because we like the opportunity to mingle with our fellow and maybe eventual fellow U.S. citizens. Guess what I am after is your recommendation for the next best hotel after Copamarina in or near Parguera.

Thanks so much again!

Gek

I personally like Hotel Villa Parguera (PARADOR VILLA PARGUERA - PUERTO RICO ). It is not at all luxurious, but it is clean and well maintained. It is on the water and the rooms are air conditioned. It is two stories and it has a very nice courtyard right on the water. It is very much in the style of an old fashion Caribbean hotel (which it makes sense since it has been around for over 40 years), but it is well maintained. I personally think that it has a lot of charm.

For diving outfitter you will find two in Parguera, West Divers and Paradise Scuba. They are both good, but I really like West Divers. Victor, the owner, dive master, etc. is great.
Take a look at my trip report for more info: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...ort-puerto-rico-1st-week-november-2007-a.html

Both dive boats are docked very close to Villa Parguera. The town of Parguera is a nice small little town with everything with in waling distance. There is not a lot, but there are a few restaurants, a nice little grocery store, etc.

If I recall correctly Copamarina in not in Parguera, it is in Guanica…right next to Parguera, but not in the village. I thought Copamarina was expensive and would not be my style for a real diving vacation.

You will not have any problem finding people that speak English in Parguera, but be aware that it is a small town relatively far from San Juan. They do cater to tourist, but not everyone will be fluent. On the other hand in Rincon you will find a lot of English speaking people. Actually in Rincon there is like a surfer colony with people from the mainland...

Oh, and btw, as part of the commonwealth status of PR…the people of PR are US citizens.

I would not hesitate about going to PR any time of the year, but personally I avoid the high tourist season (winter) to avoid crowds and much higher prices. During hurricane season there is always a risk, but I personally fill it is small. I would always get have travel insurance just incase I have to cancel for whatever reason.

My favorite times to go (to anywhere in the Caribbean) are around November and early December or in the spring, April and May. But, that is just my preference…I like summers and winters in Maine

During hurricane season there is always a risk, but I personally fill it is small. I would always get have travel insurance just incase I have to cancel for whatever reason.

I find the StormCarib site very useful for seeing when peak hurricane risk is for various destinations. Of course, you can always be unlucky, and that's why travel insurance is important, as Luis H says.

Climatology of Caribbean Hurricanes
Puerto Rico: Mayaguez - Island Projection - Climatology of Caribbean Hurricanes - 1851-2007

Thanks, Luis, again for your advice. Corrected! P.R. residents are U.S. citizens but it always confuses me because we don't allow PR residents to elect the U.S. president. Guess it's one reason that P.R. has to decide whether it wants statehood.

How would you rank the following diving experiences:

Desecheo Island
Parguera Wall
Vieques-Culebra

I've had folks tell me that Desecheo Island and Parguera operators do not consistently run their dive trips. It depends on weather and predetermined minimal number of divers. Hence, if one plans a vacation around diving, there is only a 50/50 chance of diving on the day desired or scheduled. Villa Parguera was on our short list too from just comments and description. Cleanliness and not too shabby or run-down is good. Luxury is not a necessity for dive vacations. Most any 3* hotels beat liveaboard diveboats hands down. Guess we'll have to figure out how disappointed I'd be if the diving doesn't work out. Might have to go to Bonaire after all because I do need to log some bottom time.

Thanks so much, guys. Divers are in general great community members!

Gek

You certainly can depend on getting in your bottom time on Bonaire. Weather is less of a factor on Bonaire than in the nothern Carribean(and you aren't depenent on a dive boat!). This last Feb I got only 2 -2 tank days of diving during a week's stay on PR because of the winds, and finally did a day of snorkeling on Culebra where I could shore dive in sheltered Melones; just so I could get into the water, I was so frustrated!
Over all it was a disappionting trip, but then 2 years ago I was able to dive Desecheo every day, and several years ago got to dive Culebra all but one day; it all depends on the weather. Summer seems to be better than the winter months for winds, unless there is a hurricane, which is my impression of most of the northern Carribean.

Back
Top Bottom