Puerto Rico (San Juan Area) Diving Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jemmini6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I looked through a few of the other posts for PR and saw most of them were for other parts of the island. We booked our vacation before we knew we'd be certified (found a great 2 for 1 deal and got completely certified in about a week). We will be staying a week in the Isle Verde area of San Juan and would like to get in a few dives while we are there. We won't have a car the whole time, but are up for renting a car for the day, but still don't want to spend too much of our time on the road. We've looked into a few places in Fajardo, but was hoping someone would have a good recommendation for brand new divers (and something a little more friendly on the wallet, perhaps a shore dive?). Thanks in advance for the advise!

I looked through a few of the other posts for PR and saw most of them were for other parts of the island. We booked our vacation before we knew we'd be certified (found a great 2 for 1 deal and got completely certified in about a week). We will be staying a week in the Isle Verde area of San Juan and would like to get in a few dives while we are there. We won't have a car the whole time, but are up for renting a car for the day, but still don't want to spend too much of our time on the road. We've looked into a few places in Fajardo, but was hoping someone would have a good recommendation for brand new divers (and something a little more friendly on the wallet, perhaps a shore dive?). Thanks in advance for the advise!

Hi, I'm going to be there May 26th- 31 and am looking for a boat as well. When are you going?

I too am looking to possibly head down one of the last weekends of May. Lemme know what info you find and I'll do the same. Right now I am looking for what some of the more reputable dive operations are. Looks like most of the accessable diving is on thw east and south coasts. Flights and car rentals are both cheap enough. Hotel stays seem a little pricier thus far.

I too am looking to possibly head down one of the last weekends of May. Lemme know what info you find and I'll do the same. Right now I am looking for what some of the more reputable dive operations are. Looks like most of the accessable diving is on thw east and south coasts. Flights and car rentals are both cheap enough. Hotel stays seem a little pricier thus far.

I will be calling the LDSs this week and I also have my man in PR to check it out on a local level. I'll let you know.

I reached out to a friend of mine whose been there a number of times recently, and heres what he had to say on the matter:

...I don’t remember, I always dive with a different crew, depends if East, West or on the islands off the coast, so each time we go, I research a different area…
Best I have been to is Aguadilla caves out east or the island Culebra (you have to take a $2 ferry ride and they wait for you with a dive boat right at the drop off!).

However, the best diving is supposed to be on Mona Island and down south in La Paguera but I haven’t been there yet.

I have had feedback from the locals that Fajardo while extremely busy dive site for tourist most of the time has really bad visibility…
If you are going to go to Fajardo, you might as well jump on the $2 ferry to Culebra or Viejues, where you will be doing a boat dive for much cheaper in a MUCH better area and a lot less people.

Rent a car for $20 a day, go to Fajardo (less than an hour, depending on traffic) $2 ferry later, you’re in divers paradise, shallow dives but beautiful areas, not a clusterf@ck like Fajardo, that may be the place I do last or if the weather is perfect.

We were there in august and had a couple of great experiences. We stayed in fajardo and the first company we went out with was Sea Ventures. It was a pretty decent sized operation. Big boat, lots of room. The crew was awesome. All the DM's were very professional and knew their stuff. They took us to two different sites "sandslide" and "spurs". The first was pretty shallow, and the second was around 65 feet. Visibility at both was 80+.

The second day we took the ferry over to Culebra and dove with Culebra Divers. Totally different operation. Didn't seem "corporate" at all. Total mom and pop type of gig. The guy that owns the place, Walter, is a trip. He took us out on our dives and took us to two different sites; "The Arch" and "tamarindo pico". The first was the deepest around 50-60 feet and was near a super small little island that had a natural arch running off of it. The second was only 20 feet at the deepest, but had by far the most life. Tons of coral and fish, and we even saw a turtle and a nurse shark. Probably my favorite dive of the four that we did.

I would definitely check out Culebra, as it's definitely worth the ferry ride. And while you're out there you can go to the other side of the island and check out "flamenco" beach. And bring a jacket on the ferry because they pump the ac and it gets pretty chilly.

I am planning a trip with my friend to Puerto Rico for end of August. It would be us two girls traveling from San Juan to Rincon. Does anyone know how safe Puerto Rico really is?

I am planning a trip with my friend to Puerto Rico for end of August. It would be us two girls traveling from San Juan to Rincon. Does anyone know how safe Puerto Rico really is?

i'm not sure how the travel between san juan and rincon is, but from what i've heard, PR is a pretty safe place. you can also check on tripadvisor.com forums for that info. it is very helpful in answering those kinds of questions (you'll get a lot locals that can give you advise).

I'm in the same boat. My boyfriend and I will be in PR from June 3-9. We're staying in San Juan (thanks to the Air Force) and looking to partake in a few dives while we're there. It sounds like taking the ferry to Culebra is the best bet so far. Would love more suggestions anyone has them. I've got a list going of a few companies to call and check out. For us, the less touristy, the better. If anyone else is going to be heading that way during the same time, might be fun to get a group together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom