Puerto Rico Dive Trip!! - Thurs., Sept. 9th through Mon., Sept. 13th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoque Cousteau

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
All:

My dive buddy and I (we are both AOW with 50+ dives) are planning a dive trip to Puerto Rico on 9/9 through 9/13.

We're looking to get a ton of dives in. Particularly, anyone looking for a dive out to St. Thomas/St. John's on Sat. the 11th. They're offering everyone a discount if we can get another 10 people or so.

If you're interested in coming along, please message me or respond to this thread.

We'll staying in Rio Grande (northeast part of the Island). Last year, we did Paguera and loved it. This year, we're going to check out the rest of the island.

Thurs., Sept 9th we were thinking Palmas (southeast roughly)

Friday, Sept. 10 we were thinking Culebra (island to the east)

Sat., Sept. 11 we were thinking St. Thomas

Sun., Sept. 12 - possibly an off day, although if we can get enough people -- night dive.

Mon., Sept. 13 - we take a vote and go to our favorite dive site

Hogue - my wife and I are going to PR in October and I'm not sure where to dive and who to dive with. Any recommendations?

Hogue - my wife and I are going to PR in October and I'm not sure where to dive and who to dive with. Any recommendations?

You might check local weather conditions first, and then look for location. It is my understanding that, while the apparent better diving is on the west and southwest parts of the island, the weather over there as you approach winter may start to get a little less settled, but I may be wrong.

We went to Rincon and La Parguera in May a year or so ago, and other than the occassional rain shower, the seas were perfect. We dove with Taino Divers in Rincon, and West Divers in La Parguera (but understand there have been substantial changes with West Divers since then). We loved the wall diving in La Parguera, and really want to go back soon, but not sure about what the dive op situation is in that region right now.

Taino Divers is very professional, and we would dive with them, again, as well; we just preferred the wall over Desecheo Island; plus the town of Rincon offers a lot of dining and entertainment opportunities, where the town of La Parguera seemed a little smaller, and challenged when it came to variety and availability.

Once you decide, please post a trip report or update, as we are dying for information.

Thanks!

Yes, we dived last year in Sept. with West Divers (although I'm told Victor, one of the divemasters has since left) in La Paguera and it was great. We also dived outside of Farardo with a company called Casa del Mar. I've heard interesting things about Culebra, really hoping to check it out this week.

I'll keep you posted and write out a quick dive report when i get back next week.

Looking forward to your report.

Thanks, in advance!

I just planned a last minute trip to Puerto Rico and plan to dive on Saturday. I have not decided where. Do you figure out where you are going? Have you checked the water conditions this week after the storms? Thanks

Looking forward to hearing about your report. I am thinking of going there in December!

Looking forward to hearing about your report. I am thinking of going there in December!

I went diving with Casa del Mar in Fajardo (Scuba Diving Puerto Rico | Yacht Charters | Snorkling | Snuba | Mountain Bikes Tours | Corporate Events in Puerto Rico by Casa del Mar Dive Center). They were great and have really nice boats. The diving was good considering it is the stormy season there. Water was great with probably 60' of vis b/c of the storms. Most of the year it is better. There were a couple guys on the dive that went with another shop the day before and said they liked this one better overall. You can do day trips to other islands too. After the dives were over, they had fresh fruit, chips with mango salsa, and free Medalla along with soft drinks and water.

I love diving with Casa Del Mar, very friendly Staff and their boats are in top shape.

It seems that lots of dive masters will go through them when planning trips. I dont know how much they charge the dive masters for the spots on the boat but I have seen the same trip being offered by diferent shops / divemasters ranging in price from $135-$150ish. I was offered a trip by one Divemaster for $150 and ended up going with another same trip for $130.

I have a bunch of shops and divemasters on my facebook and thats where I get most of my invites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom