Puerto Galera/Sabang opinions needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove Sabang/PG two years ago late Oct./mid Nov. and the viz was pretty limited due to run off....lots of " yucky stuff" in the water. Actually I was disappointed after hearing rave reviews from this board and from a friend who got certified there. Last year I went to Apo Island and Alona Beach and thought the diving was much better probably due to much better visibility, marine life better i.e. everything from macro to dolphins and turtles. Your mileage may vary. I'd suggest Leyte - my favorite so far.

Mr. Blues:
I dove Sabang/PG two years ago late Oct./mid Nov. and the viz was pretty limited due to run off....lots of " yucky stuff" in the water. Actually I was disappointed after hearing rave reviews from this board and from a friend who got certified there. Last year I went to Apo Island and Alona Beach and thought the diving was much better probably due to much better visibility, marine life better i.e. everything from macro to dolphins and turtles. Your mileage may vary. I'd suggest Leyte - my favorite so far.

You post is interesting. I dove Alona earlier this year. Most of the opinions I have gotten so far say that PG has more fish life than Alona. I have also heard that Leyte is the best for soft corals.

Thanks for the input. It all helps.

I dove in Sabang in 2003 and have to say that I wasn't a huge fan. It's easy to get to from Manila and there is lots of macro life, but visibility is much worse than around Bohol or Cebu (with the possible exception of Malapascua, which has pretty poor visibility as well). There were also very few big fish in PG, though you may get lucky and see tuna or jacks at the Canyons.

Overall, I thought Southern Leyte was by far the best combination of visibility, corals, fish and macro life. I dove there in September of last year and March of this year. If you go I highly recommend Sogod Bay Scuba Resort. Nice people, very reasonable prices, great accomodations and excellent food. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

http://www.sogodbayscubaresort.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom