Puerto Galera, Phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarzana

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am thinking about organizing another tour but this time to the Philippines-- for next year. I have read that the diving is top rate in Puerto Galera. Has someone out there been there and can give me recommendations for a hotel and dive sites?

Tarzana

tarzana:
I am thinking about organizing another tour but this time to the Philippines-- for next year. I have read that the diving is top rate in Puerto Galera. Has someone out there been there and can give me recommendations for a hotel and dive sites?

Tarzana

Hi Tarzana, glad you're thinking about going to the philippines. This question has been asked many times so you can do a search or check out the threads in our philippine paradise divers forum and you will find info on PG. Here are two recent ones that can start you off:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110282

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110286

But before you do anything else, visit this link: :)
http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

Hope you enjoy it next year. Let us know when you're here!

tarzana:

Tarzana

Just got back 8/22

I have no local basis for diving comparison, we dove only with our property, Hotel Atlantis.

We strolled the beach area and looked at the other properties- didn't see anything close to the Atlantis in terms of the facilities, rooms, physical layout of dive op. The rooms are unique and inviting, the location- although right next to the main walkway, the vendors are prohibited from entry.

Other dive ops may have been better (I didn't sample them), but I was quite pleased with the boats, service and DM's provided by Atlantis. We asked for specific dives and critters- they took us to them. Night dives were well run, as was the trip to Isla Verde.

They looked at our dive styles and abilities and quickly ratcheted up the skill levels required for selected dive sites. They did not hold us back. Some members used twins and some were on rebreathers, they handled it all.

Puerto Galera was a hoot, we will return 09/06 with even more travellers!

Hello RoatanMan,

It has been a busy week but now I have the chance to say thanks for your comments about the Atlantis Hotel. I personally could stay just about anywhere but, with the sizable group that I will take, this hotel sounds like it would be the best choice.

Have you done any current dives there? Please tell me about Isla Verde and which are your favorite dive sites there when you have a chance.

Again thanks!
tarzana

RoatanMan:
Just got back 8/22

I have no local basis for diving comparison, we dove only with our property, Hotel Atlantis.

We strolled the beach area and looked at the other properties- didn't see anything close to the Atlantis in terms of the facilities, rooms, physical layout of dive op. The rooms are unique and inviting, the location- although right next to the main walkway, the vendors are prohibited from entry.

Other dive ops may have been better (I didn't sample them), but I was quite pleased with the boats, service and DM's provided by Atlantis. We asked for specific dives and critters- they took us to them. Night dives were well run, as was the trip to Isla Verde.

They looked at our dive styles and abilities and quickly ratcheted up the skill levels required for selected dive sites. They did not hold us back. Some members used twins and some were on rebreathers, they handled it all.

Puerto Galera was a hoot, we will return 09/06 with even more travellers!

I wouldn't go as far as saying "top rate", it's certainly no Palau. however, you can get some decent dives, Verde Island being the best (if it's not to windy to go out there). The Sabang wreck is a great dive although it can get a little crowded sometime. One of the other dives I enjoyed was "The Boulders". I stayed at Asia divers, I thought the rooms were a little overpriced but they are comfortable and have A/C and a mini fridge. Asia divers has the only pier in town, so you can step right onto their boats instead of wading out to them. They also have a number of boats, so it should be no problem if you are a group!

Chip104<
Thank you for the threads on PG and how to use the Scubaboard in a more efficient way. I am new to this kind of communication so thanks for your advise and links to the PG topic. The links were helpful for the dive sites. If I have any more questions I guess that it is best to post them over on the other thread, correct? Like I said this is new to me.

tarzana

chip104:
Hi Tarzana, glad you're thinking about going to the philippines. This question has been asked many times so you can do a search or check out the threads in our philippine paradise divers forum and you will find info on PG. Here are two recent ones that can start you off:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110282

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110286

But before you do anything else, visit this link: :)
http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

Hope you enjoy it next year. Let us know when you're here!

Nemo,

Thanks for the dive site tips. I will save them and take to PI when I go.

tarzana

Nemo:
I wouldn't go as far as saying "top rate", it's certainly no Palau. however, you can get some decent dives, Verde Island being the best (if it's not to windy to go out there). The Sabang wreck is a great dive although it can get a little crowded sometime. One of the other dives I enjoyed was "The Boulders". I stayed at Asia divers, I thought the rooms were a little overpriced but they are comfortable and have A/C and a mini fridge. Asia divers has the only pier in town, so you can step right onto their boats instead of wading out to them. They also have a number of boats, so it should be no problem if you are a group!

tarzana:
Chip104<
Thank you for the threads on PG and how to use the Scubaboard in a more efficient way. I am new to this kind of communication so thanks for your advise and links to the PG topic. The links were helpful for the dive sites. If I have any more questions I guess that it is best to post them over on the other thread, correct? Like I said this is new to me.

tarzana

Nah, it's really up to you if you want to post in a new thread or not. I just linked that flash cause it's funny. It never ceases to amuse me :)

But the search is a really good tool to use. Some of the past threads might have info you haven't thought of yet. And sometimes if the same question is asked over and over, the replies become less enthusiastic.

How long do you plan on staying in the PI for? If time permits, you could also check out Anilao and Isla Verde since they are in proximity to PG. Check out this post by Scuby Dooby:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1243398#post1243398

And welcome to SB!

chip104,

Thanks for the link and the welcome.

I am planning on bringing about 15 divers to PG April 8-15 next year. I am considering a day in Manila... would you recommend it?

tarzana

chip104:
Nah, it's really up to you if you want to post in a new thread or not. I just linked that flash cause it's funny. It never ceases to amuse me :)

But the search is a really good tool to use. Some of the past threads might have info you haven't thought of yet. And sometimes if the same question is asked over and over, the replies become less enthusiastic.

How long do you plan on staying in the PI for? If time permits, you could also check out Anilao and Isla Verde since they are in proximity to PG. Check out this post by Scuby Dooby:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1243398#post1243398

And welcome to SB!

If you would like to go shopping, then I would recommend a day in manila. I'm having a brain fart right now because I can't think of any 'better' tourist attractions in the city other than Intramuros/Luneta and the shopping. But I'd rather do the shopping.

IMHO (in my honest opinion), since you're only staying a week, I would just skip manila and just go for the diving! Especially if you are considering checking out Anilao and Isla Verde. Time will really fly. But if you are just considering PG, and in the case you get tired of diving, then you can always save the last day to go to the city instead.

Hope that helps. Saw you post in the PPD forum, hope you find all your answers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom