Puerto Galera or Dauin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tendi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a trip for April 2018. Trip will consist of 2 experienced divers and 6 divers that are still fairly new. The 2 of us that are experienced are looking for 4 dives per day with a variety of big and small critters. I don't want every dive to be a muck dive. The other 6 divers are probably going to do 2 dives per day and then will looking for something else to do...so, having some sort of town to walk around in is important. Looking for any and all opinions. What are the pros and cons of Puerto Galera versus Dauin?

We have been to the Philippines once. We did Cabilao, Malapascua and Alona Beach with Sea Explorers if you can compare to those places, that would be extra helpful!

Thanks in advance!

I will let you know after November. Staying at Atlantis Resort in Puerto Galera for 9 days.

PG is unique among all the places that I have been diving in SE Asia. Most of the dive sites are very close by and the diving schedule is very flexible. The boat goes out for one dive and then return to the resort unless it is a special trip to Verde Island(a must for the experienced). 5 dives a day is absolutely feasible.
For a group with mixed experience and agenda(social life) then PG is hard to beat. There is even a 9 holes course up in the mountain.

I would say PG has a more varied selection of dive sites plus you have the bonus of Verde Island which is spectacular to say the least. Dauin is great for muck diving but not so many corals, they have Apo Island which is beautiful place. Another bonus for PG is that you will not have to take a second flight which is something to consider.

Hi Tendi,
I admit that I am biased, living in Dauin, but I think Dauin would fit your requirements pretty well too. The dive sites are really close, for example from Atmosphere the coastal dive sites are 2-20 min boat ride away, and Apo Island is 30-40 min boat ride away (depending on waves). We go to Apo every morning for 2-tank dive, coming back for lunch, and for coastal sites it's either a single dive with speedboat or double dive with bigger bangka style boat, so that you can make your own schedule to be as easy or full as you want to. The coastal dives are mostly macro, but there's also a couple of nice drift sites with schools of big barracudas, and pretty reef areas. Apo is where most of our reefs are, but again there's also exhilarating drift sites with large schools of jacks. The April is one of the best season to visit Dauin, with macro baby boom in full swing and the ocean bed blooming with critters.

There's also lot of topside activities in the area (ask the excursion list from the resort so that you can see what they offer), starting from waterfalls, hot springs, hiking & mountain biking, ATV tours to mountain side, to city tours or trips to local farmers' market, and whale shark & dolphin watching trips. In April when the sea starts to be super flat it's also great time to visit Manjuyod Sandbars which is a stunning place when the tides are right:

Last edited:
Hmmm....I'm going back and forth. For PG, what are the recommendations for accommodations/dive shop? We'd be looking for something a little nicer maybe in the $100-$200/night range? Ideal would be, nice view, nice beach, close to restaurants, option for 4+ dives per day, easy diving.

I think if you do the more advanced dive sites around PG then three dives a day is possibly what you will manage +1 night dive. Unless you arrange with your dive shop to leave earlier than usual. Best to negotiate with the dive shops before you finalize your plan.

For a group with mixed experience and agenda(social life) then PG is hard to beat. There is even a 9 holes course up in the mountain.
Forget the mountains. you can do all 9 holes right at the alley behind the beach in the row of strip bars ...
(Sorry couldn't resist :D)

Dauin + Apo isle is nice too but I didn't have the most exciting time in Dauin in the two days there (although my Apo dive trip was nice) so I wont comment.

P

Hmmm....I'm going back and forth. For PG, what are the recommendations for accommodations/dive shop? We'd be looking for something a little nicer maybe in the $100-$200/night range? Ideal would be, nice view, nice beach, close to restaurants, option for 4+ dives per day, easy diving.
Atlantis(Sabang), El Galleon(Asia Divers on Small La Laguna) or La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre(Big La Laguna) are top of the range in its respective beach.
Sabang Beach is NOT very nice at all!!! Big La Laguna Beach is pretty small but CLEAN.

Most of the restaurants are over in Sabang Beach. However, the three beaches are interconnected and NOT that far apart. Bring a torch if you decide to walk from Big La Laguna to Sabang in the evening.
4+ dives per day is NOT an issue if you are up to it. There are plenty of dive sites to satisfy most divers from easy to high speed drift dive(Kelima drift on ebb current).

I think if you do the more advanced dive sites around PG then three dives a day is possibly what you will manage +1 night dive. Unless you arrange with your dive shop to leave earlier than usual. Best to negotiate with the dive shops before you finalize your plan.

P

Are the more advanced sites long boat rides?

Atlantis(Sabang), El Galleon(Asia Divers on Small La Laguna) or La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre(Big La Laguna) are top of the range in its respective beach.
Sabang Beach is NOT very nice at all!!! Big La Laguna Beach is pretty small but CLEAN.

Most of the restaurants are over in Sabang Beach. However, the three beaches are interconnected and NOT that far apart. Bring a torch if you decide to walk from Big La Laguna to Sabang in the evening.
4+ dives per day is NOT an issue if you are up to it. There are plenty of dive sites to satisfy most divers from easy to high speed drift dive(Kelima drift on ebb current).
What about White Beach? Anything good there? I'd prefer a cleaner, quieter beach but I also don't want it to be a huge ordeal to go find a place to eat.

Back
Top Bottom