Public statement from the CDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karstdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The Cave Diving Section of the National Speleological Section has always made cave conservation its mandate. The board of directors is appalled at any cave defacement,especially the recent events. We have made it our policy to offer a $1000 reward for information leading to the prosecution of anybody found guilty of cave vandalism (Florida Statute 810.13). Any tips can be sent to chairman@nsscds.org
Sincerely
Kelly Jessop
Chairman NSS-CDS.

Has some way of contributing to the award been set up? I know several folks are interested.

For those who wonder what this is about, someone wrote some rather large (presumably initials) letters in a clay bank in Cow Springs: DIC.

Apparently this was repeated at Ginnie and Peacock.

For those who wonder what this is about, someone wrote some rather large (presumably initials) letters in a clay bank in Cow Springs: DIC...

Guess they left the "K" off!

Has some way of contributing to the award been set up? I know several folks are interested.

For those who wonder what this is about, someone wrote some rather large (presumably initials) letters in a clay bank in Cow Springs: DIC.

Go to the NSS-CDS webpage, Cave Diving Section of the National Speleological Society, and look near the bottom of the menu bar. There is a link to "Donations". We just added the Vandalism Reward to the list.

Rather odd that a trained cave diver would deliberately deface a cave.

Respect for the environment is pretty heavily emphasized throughout most training (that I'm familiar with).

Things that make you go "hmmmmm"... :confused:

There are all kinds....even in cave diving. Its obviously not an 'education' issue, but a respect issue -- lack of respect for the cave and lack of respect for themselves in that they need the 'ego stroke' to leave their mark....sadly, just a reflection of society today.

hmm. i'll continue to stroke my ego by *not* touching anything...except my ego! :wink:

It was repeated at least twice at Peacock. One incident of it was supposedly cleaned up on Friday. On Saturday, we came across another engraving. This was later in the day, so we fanned the bottom a bit and were able to clean that area up as well. Unfortunately, there are also a bunch of hand and fin prints in that same area that are too deep to do much about. My guess is whoever wrote the initials was kneeling on the bottom of the cave when it was done.

Seeing as you need to sign a waiver and get a key to cow from Dive outpost, can't someone just run over there and see if any of the recent waivers have some one with the initials DIC ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom