Public Safety Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see. Well, you eminate command so they give it to you. Were you trained by LGS?

But one of our more senior divers is an LGS instructor and we're supposed to get the AGA, black water, ice, search/recovery and rapid response training this fall, with the ice dives happening after the lakes freeze. All this of course is contingent on the usual budget issues.

Yeah, budget is always an issue. LGS is in Alaska two, three times per year. There were just there last month, or was is it this month, I lost track.

Well I hope your team gets the budget. LGS training is very good, the best. You will walk away with a wealth of knowledge and skills.

The wife and I are both volunteers with the city Dive/Rescue team.
The good part is that we are fairly well funded and have enough experience to handle most situations called upon. LGS does the training--and it does help in the rec side--but the two are not interchangable--
If you can find a situation like we have, it is a good way to learn the techniques and gain confidence. It is, however, a nasty job to go in the river after a body.

Also, it is usually the less experienced one down the line first--It is much better to be safety if you can help it!

So are you on call with the FD for your services? How available do you have to be?

If no vis is a problem or harsh conditions...just get some divers in from the UK...6 inches of vis? YAY we get to see something!

As I like to say to my students, Public Safety Diving is interesting. It can give you an incredible amount of satisfaction because of the sense that you are helping your community. It can, and does, give you incredible confidence about handling yourself in extremely tough diving circumstances. The question is: "Is it fun diving?" The answer is, of course, not in the ordinary sense of the word!:wacko:

IANTD has an instructional program based upon the recognition that 95% of that kind of diving is done by volunteer teams, with all of the inherent problems of funding, etc. that occur by the very nature of the beast. Our program is aimed at helping the volunteer teams to do the job safely and well, given the normal constraints of the situation.

For those of you who are interested in knowing more, PM me with contact information!:D

I'm with the Lee County Sheriff's Office Underwater Operations Unit. As previously mentioned by other dive unit members, we have similar responsibiliites.

Additionally, we do public presentations and demos, for public and private events. Its great because it brings awareness to our job and the need for it. My county is on the Gulf coast of Florida and we also have rivers, lakes, ponds, bays, estuaries, and canals that we dive in regularly.

We also conduct hull searches for parasitic devices and contraband of commercial and industrial ships, frieghters, shrimping and gaming boats, etc.
All our equipment is department issue, as well as cost of the training.

And as somebody asked, Yes, you have to be a member of our agency to be considered for the dive team. You also have to be at least an advanced open water diver with a minumum of 50 logged dives. Physical and written tests are part of the selection process. New members are then trained to Rescue, Search & Recovery, Law Enforcement Diver, and NAPD Police Diver certs.
Our boss is a PADI instructor. And several of us are working on our DM's. Training is a constant thing with us.

Its basically a dirty job that I wouldn't trade for all the olive oil in Sicily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom