Public meeting on the subject of opening Wakulla to scuba divers Thurs, Jan 19 at 7pm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point is that the impact is measurable and predictable, For example, in order to preserve the relatively pristine conditions of Pt. Lobos, CA, a limit to the number of divers that are allowed in each day was set. This situation has been maintained for over four decades now with great success. What needs to be done a good assessment of the impact of scientific observers, a good assessment of the impact of recreational cave divers and a good assessment of the capacity of the environ to handle and recover from both impacts. Then it can be discussed intelligently. Until then I would close the springs to all diving (science included) except for science diving specifically required to gather date to make such assessments.

Absolutely. The only diving that I'd permit is diving necessary to determine the impacts I discussed earlier.

Frankly I never understood why the assessments we are discussing were never done. When I was a kid I dove with a group that styled itself: "Beta Oceanographic." Really just a high level dive club like the WKPP, that enjoyed a relationship with the Pt. Lobos administration (again, like the WKPP). As a result of the studies that we did, it was determined that ten divers a day, above the normal science load, would not adversely effect the park and that became the rule. Studies were carefully continued, and I expect are still on going, to assure that this was right.

The WKKP's unwillingness to take such a tack and the ego stance that some members have taken with respect to their favored position, flaunting it in front of divers who can't make the dive, has lost my support and I would expect that of many others. You've got to always remember that the public pays the bills, and the salaries of the officials and guards that "protect the resource"/"keep the public out."

Last edited:
The manatees at Wakulla are not in the head-pool,
This was taken from the tower last time I visited Wakulla, two of nearly a dozen. They're in the head spring almost all winter.
11564_573171324925_201400707_34051861_5796969_n.jpg

Nice photo,

Yes, they would need warm water in the winter. Refreshing to see two manatees that haven't been skidded over or chopped up.

No, I would be completely opposed to disturbing them when they need access to warm water.

Best.

“It may not be a proposal to build a gas station on top of the spring, but recreational diving is no less serious,” said Casey McKinlay, project manager of the Woodville Karst Plain Project, which has a research permit to dive the spring and its vast, more than 30-mile underwater cave system for research purposes. “I believe it needs protection and to be preserved for future generations.”

Another WKPP member told a story about how he will, for the rest of his life, be haunted by the missing whale bone at Ginny.... Basically saying all cave divers are thieves, defilers, and criminals. From this point forward, this "divers" public comments can be used to prevent access to dive locations.

I think it is a reasonable position for any diver to be against access at Wakulla (even if I disagree). What I heard from divers opposing access to Wakulla was one or two reasonable arguments about artifact protection, two comments about safety, and ten comments along the line of "Wakulla is the most awesome place I have ever dove, it's disney land, hooters, and valhalla all rolled into one, I loved diving it, but no one should ever, ever, ever, ever dive there again (unless it's wkpp).

Non divers were opposed to disturbing the pristine nature of the spring (I kept seeing the diving tower and docks and swim platforms in my mind) and the manatee population.

Scientist were concerned about artifacts, but failed to mention that the raking, dredging, Hollywood film-making, and looting of the 50's-80's had already ruined much of the archeological value of these artifacts, and that the reason they haven't been cataloged before was because they held a diminished scientific value, and because the pursuit of world record push dives took precedence over actual science.

Comments were close to 50/50 on "for" and "against". I think if there was a "winner" in votes, then divers had perhaps 5 more votes than the other side, but some arguments (obviously) carried more weight than others.

the bone room is well away from any film-making of the 50s-80s.

fact is, divers have taken chisels to the whale bone in ginnie springs. it's not a trivial dive to get back there so it's not open water divers or brand new cave divers doing that. saying world record push dives takes precedence over science at wakulla is just silly. sounds good on the internet but just isn't true.

if you're curious what the wkpp is actually doing in wakulla you can read it all on their twitter feed here: Twitter
I think you'll find it's not all hero push-dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom