Pt Lobos Washing Machine Dive and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocWong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Awesome day of diving today at Pt Lobos!!!!

YouTube - Pt Lobos Video Dive Report

Winds were down in the morning and Monterey Bay didn't look bad. Monastery was not divable and from the top of the hill of Whaler's Cove, it looked like a giant washing machine on it's soapy splash cycle. Todd commented on not liking the whitish-brown foam and wondered what it was. Anyone know? I told him not to eat any! Greg said, "Well this is not as bad as the day we dove Lobos on Maverick's weekend."

We got in and I could still see my hands, viz isn't "that" bad. ;-)

We swam out to the North end of Middle Reef and dropped down, the viz had opened up to 10 feet. Ah, this is looking much better. We did some quick drills and continued on our way.

Going North, Greg signaled us and shined his light in the sand and Todd and I were wondering "ok, yea, there's sand." Then as I got closer, it was a Halibut or Flounder (don't know which), perfectly camouflaged with the sand. Got some good video of it.

Then we swam (yes, no scooters today) NorthWest to Sea Mount and the viz continued to open up. I think it got to about 25 to 30 feet or so. Very nice!

Coming back there was lots to see and the surge was fun to dive in. It was probably a good 10' surge. Being perfectly flat, horizontal made a big difference it. Hardly had to swim back, when the surge was against me I'd gently stick a finger in the sand or gently hold onto a rock or kelp and when the surge was pushing me forward, I'd let go, give a couple of kicks and varooom....

Getting out was "interesting." The tide was way way low and there was pretty good wave action at the ramp. I got pushed into the logs, flipped over and turtled. I wish someone videoed that! I just kept the reg in my mouth and waited for the next big wave and used it to right myself. Wow, every dive a new experience.

Harry (doc) Wong
Make a Shipwreck a Dream Come True Event Feb 9, 2008 http://tinyurl.com/2xy3fo
President Northern California Oceans Foundation Northern California Oceans Foundation : NCOF

Looks like it was definitely the day for video, not for "still" photography. The swim out looked a bit rough. Getting into and out at the ramp at low tide can be lots of fun. I wish the park service would remove the moss.

Yep, Scott and his motley band of ramp cleaners really deserve credit for going out there and getting this done!

Interesting choice of music Doc! :) Great video! I actually like the surge feeling, pretty relaxing, but it can be kind of tricky. Your video is great though and what a great amount of information you provide us with! As always - Thanks!!

Interesting choice of music Doc! :) Great video! I actually like the surge feeling, pretty relaxing, but it can be kind of tricky. Your video is great though and what a great amount of information you provide us with! As always - Thanks!!

You're welcome! Yes, definitely a day for video and not stills.

Anyone know what type of flounder that was?

Hey Doc,

Great video, not only the shooting but the way you arranged it too! You must have a really nice setup, the picture looks really sharp and clear. (I'm trying to remember what the Bible says about coveting your neighbors' belongings...it's a bad thing right?):D I'm going to have to check out your other stuff on youtube.

Those little sanddabs are cute! I'm a bottom crawler, I don't have good eyesight and I like to see all the little critters so I go along as close to the bottom as I can get with out rototilling it up. Every now and then I come eyeball to eyeball with one of those guys who's buried in the sand with only the big, buggy eyes sticking out. Eeeek!

Fuzz

that sounds good - poor flounder. And yeah, zen_man - what's up with that avatar? do we need to start a thread for you?

What!!!!

NO SCOOTERS AND THIS IS A DOC WONG VIDEO, SOMETHING SEEMS ODD :) ..... I was intriqued by how you float in the air with these currents...

I even caught glimpse of the blended decorator crab hiding in the rocks, very large one at that... Check out the video again and you'll see it...

MG

P.S
Very brave that you guys entered the water with all that movement above...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom