PT-018 Flash Diffuser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickB

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a C-740 and a PT-018 housing. I currently have a C-2040 with an Ikelite housing. I was wondering what effect the flash diffuser has. The Ikelite does not have a diffuser and I was able to use my flash with good effect although there was some back scatter in water where the visibility wasn't very good. Can the diffuser be removed? When would you do that and when would you leave it on?

The diffuser is mounted to the case with small phillips screws, so it could easily be removed and re-mounted at your discretion. I'm currently using it with my C-750, with no external flash (I'll hopefully get one later this year). The diffuser works very well, though, especially with macro shots. You don't get much backscatter, since the lens is so close to the subject. Since it works so well, I haven't had any reason to remove the diffuser yet.

I would leave the diffuser on as it will give you wider dispersion of the flashlight. It can also reduce a bit of the harshness of the flashlight as well. Diffuser won't increase or decrease the amount of backscatter that you get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom