PT-015 vs. Ikelite

Which would you choose:

• PT-015 Housing

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Ikelite Housing

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
If cost was only say 15% or less of a factor which to consider, which would you go for on your Olympus C-5050 setup.

Take into consideration upgrades and such. Think the Ikelite is worth the extra $300?

There's several things to consider.

Is depth rating a concern? What strobe do you plan to use? Do you need it hot wired? Is size a big deal?

To me, no it's not worth it. The PT series of housings have proven themselves to be very good quality. I prefer my manual strobe so I don't need the hotwire abilities. I prefer the size of shape of the PT over the Ike. If I ever upgrade my camera, I'll have to have a new housing anyway.

Ike wins in the repair department. I haven't heard of any PT needing repair or service but in case it did, I'd probably have to send it back to Japan since they aren't selling PT-10 in the States. Ike has an excellent customer service rating.

Agree with Dee. The 3 obvious physical differences are depth, strobe bulkhead connector and 'press and stay depressed' buttons. Ike has reputable service but then again the quality of product of the PT-015 is excellent. The Ike also comes with a tray and handle so if you add that to the cost it narrows the price difference.
Aesthetically I think the Ike housing is an ugly bugger, the PT-015 looks sexy in red ! :D
Besides, the bloody things are so cheap now and if price is not an issue you can buy 1 + (at least 1 x backup) PT-015s for the price of the Ike. :)
If price and the fact that cameras become obsolete in 12months was not an issue I'd get the LMI ROC. :bang:

Greater depth rating and the "push and hold" button controls are the big swing factors in favor of the Ikelite for me. Plus as an instructor and store staffer, I got a significant break on price for the Ikelite, which made it an easy decision. And I want to take it pretty deep and in frequent rugged/rough conditions. Looks don't mean much to me: function first, form second.

I haven't had the opportunity to see, touch, and use the P-015, but it sure gets rave reviews, and I believe that the camera manufacturer wouldn't make anything junky for their equipment. This is my first Olympus camera and first digital (several Nikon 35mms and a Canon 35mm), and I have been completely impressed with the C5050 so far. So if I was buying at retail and didn't plan on some of the constant abuse I am probably going to put the Ikelite through, I would probably have a PT-015.

Bottom line, if you can afford it and want to go deep with the easiest button control, go Ikelite. If you want to save some significant $$$ and get a high quality housing good for at least 100 feet, get the PT-015 and use the left over cash for more gear!!! Either way I think you can't go wrong.

Safe diving, and share your pics!

...I was thinking about the depth thing. I might want a little more piece of mind as far as the depth goes. I don't mind a bulky camera...it seems like it would make it a little easier to stabilize (I guess) depending on the buoyancy. I like the handles that come with the tray on the Ikelite, but I know I can just order a tray for the PT-015 as well. I guess I'm just looking for something I can upgrade and I do like the hot wiring ability. The strobe will have to come later, though. I guess any strobe would do. I haven't done too much research into that yet. BTW - what does that little silver button-lookin'-thingy on the Ike tray handle do? Decoration?

The whole price thing isn't too much of an issue because I was hoping to get it as a gift.

The silver button is part of the quick release for the strobe arm assembly.

FWIW, I noticed another post in which someone was asking about the counterweight on a PT-10 or a PT-15 housing, saying that the counterweight (included with the housing) is necessary to make the unit neutral. The Ikelite unit is slightly negative with the camera and housing only, no counterweight necessary. Here again, I think it depends on what you are looking for as to which one you choose.

Enjoy the shopping!

I too could not decide between the two housings. After a couple of months of looking and reading, I decided to go with Ikelite. I wanted the comfort of knowing that if I wanted to dive a wreck at 90 feet, I could so with confidence. I also like the quick release handle for the strobe--the tray and handle are included on the Ike as well. I guess really it comes down to how you dive and how much you want to spend! Either way it sounds like both are good!

Happy Diving!

I have a PT010 now and I am extremely happy with mine. I think they are both very nice housings, however the Ikelite housing is too bulky for my taste. It may be a better housing but for what I use it for it doesn't justify the difference in price.

Wreck Ranger

Depth for me really isn't much of a concern. I'm not diving below 125-130 ft often enough to worry about it. The depth rating on the PT-15 is totally functional for my diving (130 ft.). Could I use more....sure I could, but is it necessary....no. It's the same question with any depth rating. My Breitling is waterproof to 1524 Meters, but as long as it works at my MOD, then depth isn't an issue.

I just got back from Bonaire, where I was diving with Finesse (Ikelite housing and strobe) and I was using my PT-15 and YS90DX. I can't speak for Finesse, but, it seems to me that the Ikelite is a housing that I would buy for the long term. It certainly seemed to work well for Scott. The push and hold buttons (after some minor adjustments) are a great idea. Unfortunately with the speed that new cameras are coming out, I don't see me with a housing for more than a couple of years.

My PT-15 is easy to use, not cumbersome u/w and performed without a hitch. The thought of double o-rings is reassuring too!

As far as bouyancy....I never used the counterweight for my PT-10 or PT-15. They were both negative with the strobe attached.

All that to say what everyone else has already said....They are both good housings. For me the cost is a factor. I can have a backup PT-15 and still have $$'s left over.

I can't comment directly on PT015 and Ikelite for C5050 but I have PT10 and Ikelite housing for C4040. Between these 2, I would go definitely with PT10 except for the fact that it is only rated to 30m and I don't want to have to worry if my housing is going to survive every dive that I made so by default I am using the Ikelite housing now instead of PT10. After saying that, I have to say that I like Olympus housing layout better and when you are not using a strobe, it is nice to be able to hold the camera and take picture with only one hand instead of 2. I find the buttons on the Olympus easier to press when I wear gloves.
The ideal situation would be to have Ikelite housing with Olympus buttons or an Olympus housing with better depth rate.
Unless you are planning to use the camera below 40m, I don't see why you would need to get Ikelite instead of PT015.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom