pt-015 o-rings, vaseline and silica bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nuno

Reaction score
Hi, just new to this forum and to underwater photogrphy. I´ve just bought a oly c-5050 and a pt-15 housing, can´t aford the strobe yet.I have a few questions and was hoping some of you more experienced divers could get me some answers. First where do you get o-rings, silicone and silica bags, I´m guessing some of these don´t really have to be ordered from olympus. And second, how do you store your pictures? I´ve got a 256mbCF and TIFF is slow but JPEG is suposed to loose quality as you open, close, copy,right? Thanks, Nuno.

Nuno:
Hi, just new to this forum and to underwater photogrphy. I´ve just bought a oly c-5050 and a pt-15 housing, can´t aford the strobe yet.I have a few questions and was hoping some of you more experienced divers could get me some answers. First where do you get o-rings, silicone and silica bags, I´m guessing some of these don´t really have to be ordered from olympus. And second, how do you store your pictures? I´ve got a 256mbCF and TIFF is slow but JPEG is suposed to loose quality as you open, close, copy,right? Thanks, Nuno.

Nuno, I moved your post to the regular photo forum since your questions aren't necessarily Oly specific.

First, NEVER use vaseline on your o-rings. Not only on your camera gear but on any o-rings anywhere. Petroleum products will quickly degrade the o-rings. For your camera gear, each brand makes their own o-ring lubricant that they prefer you to use. Alot of folks also will use good quality silicone grease, referred to as food grade silicone. It takes such a small amount that I use what came with my housing or the blue cap tube of silicone from Sea & Sea.

You can get the PT-015 o-rings from most anywhere that sells the housings. I get the small silica gel dessicant paks from Preserve Smart. I like these best because they have color crystals mixed in that changes color as it absorbs moisture, letting me know when to change it. I changed the paks twice as often as I needed to before I found those. They can also be recharged in the oven or microwave.

Are you talking about storing the pics while you are on a trip? I take my laptop. I download the camera to my hard drive and immediately burn a CD for backups. Some people use the small units that are basically a portable hard drive like the FastTrax or Archos Jukebox.

In the camera, I use a 256mg CF card and shoot in SHQ, JPG format. When folks talk about JPG losing quality, they are talking about the manipulation program you use to process and tweak your photos AFTER you get home, Photoshop, for example. You don't want to open the photo several times to work on it and keep saving it. Every time you do, you lose quality due to compression. You want to make a copy, keeping the original in tact, working on only the copy. Save that finished copy in PS format. You only want to save a jpg format copy when you need to resize it for using on the web or when you want to print. Printing is a whole other subject that I'm sure others can explain all this in more detail than I can. Basically, don't worry about the jpg aspect of it while you are taking the photos. TIFF makes huge files and actually loses quality. Some with the C-5050 use the RAW format but then you have to have either the expensive Photoshop full program to read it, or a plugin for PS Elements. ssra30 and ReyeR can really explain the RAW thing to you.

Aloha Nuno,
1. You can order desiccant packets or loose rechargeable desiccant from here
I prefer the loose rechargeable and use it as shown here
2. One place you can order the main O-rings is backscatter.com
3. backscatter.com may also have the silicone grease. I don't order the Olympus grease but use pure silicone grease from a dive shop.
4. Don't shoot in the TIFF mode as it is a memory hog. I use the SHQ mode to shoot all my pics. If you have a software program you can burn your pics in TIFF to CD's.
5. If you don't have a good software program you will need one. Camedia that came with the camera is inadequate.

I highy suggest you NEVER alter the original pics, only the copies you make.

I'm new to this, as well, and I'm in the practice mode of my underwater shots.

I ordered spares of everything I need for my C5050 at B&H Photo. They shipped within a day.

I use a 1GB compact flash card in the camera, but I have only been shooting in the HQ mode, so it holds over 800 pictures. I will be increasing the quality mode of the pictures shortly.

I just bought a laptop with CD burner to take with me for downloads.

Next, is my strobe, but not until after I learn the camera and it's features better. Everything is not automatic with me yet but I'm sure it will be. I want my diving pace to be slow or stopped, but dive masters seem to want to keep moving, and because I'm not fast enough with the camera yet, I usually fall behind or take the picture too fast. Needless to say, I take more than my share of bad pictures, but I do get a bonus once in a while when the camera gods throw me a bone.

Thanks a lot guys, it´s excellent to have a group of people willing to share there knowledge in a space like this. Unfortunatelly preserve smart doesn´t seem to accept orders outside the US and Canada but I´m guessing backscatter does.Thanks for the tips I see a have a lot I can learn around hear. Nuno.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom